Advice Needed on Last 5mg Valium Taper

[ma...]

I have now reached the 4.5mg milestone in my Valium (substitution) taper.  Based on what I have seen on some sites, my current plan is to cut by .5mg every 3 weeks.  Does this seem reasonable?  I have seen a range of anywhere from 1-4 weeks duration recommended by various forums and groups.  And of course there is the liquid titration or liquid valium approach (which I don't think I could sell to my doctor). My benzo use duration is in the magnitude of months, not years (.5mg of Klonopin from August to November, some of which was intermittent and interspersed with Ambien).  I crossed over to 10mg of Valium in December of 08 after sporadic use of Klonopin and Ambien in November (which was after more regular useage from August through October).

Also, is there any concern out there about "Tolerance Withdrawal" if one takes longer than 2 weeks per cut?  I was involved in a dialogue on one of the forums that had a concern that 3 weeks was too long a duration (they didn't say why).  I would really like to know what the issue is (possibly tolerance?).

I am basically trying to get a reality check here so I know what to expect.  I am blessed with a very liberal minded doctor who is allowing me to go slow.

THANKS!

Hi marylander,

I had also recommended cutting .50mg every two weeks instead of 3 weeks on your other post on the Welcome to the Forum board. If you want to take three weeks, it is okay but why don't you wait and see how you feel before deciding how many weeks to hold?

T2 :smitten:

I have now reached the 4.5mg milestone in my Valium (substitution) taper.  Based on what I have seen on some sites, my current plan is to cut by .5mg every 3 weeks.  Does this seem reasonable?  I have seen a range of anywhere from 1-4 weeks duration recommended by various forums and groups.  And of course there is the liquid titration or liquid valium approach (which I don't think I could sell to my doctor). My benzo use duration is in the magnitude of months, not years (.5mg of Klonopin from August to November, some of which was intermittent and interspersed with Ambien).  I crossed over to 10mg of Valium in December of 08 after sporadic use of Klonopin and Ambien in November (which was after more regular useage from August through October).

Also, is there any concern out there about "Tolerance Withdrawal" if one takes longer than 2 weeks per cut?  I was involved in a dialogue on one of the forums that had a concern that 3 weeks was too long a duration (they didn't say why).  I would really like to know what the issue is (possibly tolerance?).

I am basically trying to get a reality check here so I know what to expect.  I am blessed with a very liberal minded doctor who is allowing me to go slow.

THANKS!

I'm sure there is a point at which developing tolerance is an issue but as I understand it, tolerance isn't really dose-specific.  I don't know if this will help, but here is some information on tolerance withdrawal developed by the forum owner in concert with Prof. Ashton:

We regularly come across misinformation concerning tolerance. You should understand the following:

'Tolerance' occurs when your GABA (benzo) receptors have down-regulated in response to regular use of benzos. Put simply, your benzos will no longer deliver the therapeutic effects they did before you become tolerant. Only by increasing your dose might the effects of tolerance be counteracted. However, you are highly likely to become tolerant of the new dose - so starts a vicious circle of escalating benzo use. Since this is completely counter to our stated mission, in our opinion, the only sensible solution is to taper off at a sensible rate, and allow enough time for your GABA system to recover and regulate itself properly.

The longer you take benzodiazepines, the greater the chance that you will develop tolerance. Most people develop tolerance, and it is a gradual process. For some, this may occur and develop very rapidly, within a few weeks of their first dose. It is probably easier and wiser to taper off benzos before developing tolerance, and particularly before developing 'Tolerance Withdrawal' symptoms - we prefer the term Relative Withdrawal.

Relative (tolerance) Withdrawal refers to withdrawal effects that some people experience once they have become tolerant of their benzodiazepines. Although they are not reducing their dose, they nevertheless experience withdrawal-type symptoms. As with 'tolerance', increasing their dose might alleviate the symptoms, but they are likely again to become tolerant of the increased dose. The only good solution is to taper off at a sensible rate and allow enough time for the GABA system to recover. We should point out that only a small number of people develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms.

A popular myth is that Relative Withdrawal is dose-specific. In fact, only an increase in dose might alleviate symptoms; a decrease in dose cannot! The longer you stay on benzodiazepines (whether or not you have started your taper), the more likely you are to develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms. For this reason, it is better to taper off sooner rather than later. It is sometimes said of Relative Withdrawal that by staying at a particular dose for too long, you will develop 'Relative Withdrawal' effects to this specific dose, whereas if you were instead tapering, this would not occur - this not how Relative Withdrawal occurs! Whilst it is true that by stretching out your taper longer than necessary you might increase your chances of developing Relative Withdrawal symptoms, it is not the result of you sticking at a particular dose for too long. Rather, it is the result of protracted use of benzos, whether or not you are withdrawing at the time, which can lead to Relative Withdrawal symptoms.

Often, when people have hit a rough patch in their withdrawal taper they are mistakenly advised that they have developed tolerance, and must cut, to resolve the problem. As already discussed, a cut in dosage cannot alleviate Tolerance or Relative Withdrawal effects. People hit rough patches in their withdrawal for a variety of reasons. Mostly, this is the result of unpredictable withdrawal patterns that are best tackled by a short stabilisation of dose before continuing with the taper. Sometimes, it is the result of tapering too quickly, and similarly, a short period of stabilisation of dose is all that is required. In these situations, a reduction in dosage would only increase withdrawal symptoms. Of course, this should be avoided!

If you are unfortunate enough to develop Relative Withdrawal symptoms, you will not gain relief through stabilising your dose. If you experience withdrawal symptoms before starting your taper - that is to say, Relative Withdrawal symptoms - all you can do is withdraw at a sensible taper rate. If once you have started your taper you then develop withdrawal symptoms, it can be difficult to determine if you are suffering withdrawal symptoms because your withdrawal is too rapid, or if it is the result of developing Relative Withdrawal. If you experience no relief after stabilising your dose for some time, you have probably developed Relative Withdrawal symptoms. In this unfortunate situation, all you can do is continue to taper off at a reasonable and tolerable rate.