The U. N. and Valium, Diazepam and Demerol......

[Ro...]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518345,00.html

A group of largely unlicensed doctors and nurses at the United Nations are distributing controlled narcotics including Valium, Diazepam and Demerol, and in some cases they are self-medicating themselves with the drugs, according to a published report.

There is more to the story, but I wasn't sure how much of it I could post here.

[move]:oXo:[/move]

Another excerpt from the article:

"All of those medications have the potential to be habit-forming and are strictly controlled in the U.S. under tight prescriptions laws so that reckless use is avoided," Dr. Manny Alvarez {managing health editor at FOX and chairman of Obstetrics at NJ Hackensack University Hosptial} told FOX news "All of these medications have the potential to get you hooked on them."

Combining controlled narcotics like Valium and Diazepam with alcohol or ingesting them in large doses could be particularly troublesome for elderly patients or those with chronic kidney disease, Alvarez said.

"These medications are used for specific reasons for short periods of time," he continued. "They're not given without supervision and certainly not for long periods of time."

Perhaps Dr. Alvarez would like to formalize his statement with the FDA and campaign with us.  We need a medical professional who will speak up and affirm that benzos are for short-term use only!

I'm wondering if this news story is good news, bad news for those of us who are dealing with benzo w/ds?

"All of those medications have the potential to be habit-forming and are strictly controlled in the U.S. under tight prescriptions laws so that reckless use is avoided," Dr. Manny Alvarez {managing health editor at FOX and chairman of Obstetrics at NJ Hackensack University Hosptial} told FOX news

If this was true, then many of us wouldn't be going through what we are right now!!!

These medications are used for specific reasons for short periods of time," he continued. "They're not given without supervision and certainly not for long periods of time."

I think that someone needs to get his facts straight, because just the opposite is going on and the facts are right here in forums such as these!!

I wish people would get their facts straight, and do the actual research before making such claims :tickedoff: I certainly can see what's wrong with these statements, can nobody else??

I think that someone needs to get his facts straight, because just the opposite is going on and the facts are right here in forums such as these!!

I guess it's easier to deny the facts than to face them.

Its all really sickening to know how many elderly are just given a pill usually a sleping or pain pill for just about everything in the world and no instrucitons on how and when to take or for how long. It is just so sad for everyone that this is all happening. What a sham. I agree with all said here thanks to all.

Pennyblue

• 1 month later...

Its all really sickening to know how many elderly are just given a pill usually a sleping or pain pill for just about everything in the world and no instrucitons on how and when to take or for how long. It is just so sad for everyone that this is all happening. What a sham. I agree with all said here thanks to all.

Pennyblue

One of my daughter's former doctor told me that I needed to get a script for my daughter for restless leg syndrome. I told her that I would get right on that as soon as I have my kidneys removed through my nose. I am not giving that crap to a 16 year old.

Hey roberta that's a good one I rally laughed when I read that one.

My sister takes that Restless leg Crap and I cannot convience her to stop that and the ambien she feels she has to live on.

Good for you for being such a good advocate for your daughter.

what is with this restless leg stuff we see it more and more. It has to be a side effect of so many things that is wrong with the life styles now and the rotten diets people are on or the multitude of drugs.

Oh well again the seniors are targeted with just about every drug know to man kind and I just hate seing this happen so often.

I have made my sisters promise not to ever let anyone give me a pill  of anykind in the hospital or anywhere else in the future. I don't even want an aspirin when I am done with this.

Pennyblue

Good for you for being such a good advocate for your daughter.

Well, a lot of parents think that I overdo because I won't even let her get the Guardisel (sp?) shot for HPV or go on birth control pills to regulate her periods. My Christian values aside, there are a variety of reasons to promote abstinence. HPV is just one of those reasons. What if she comes to me sobbing 10 years down the road because she can't have children or has some other side-effect of those shots and it is due to the shot? Doctors are not gods and we need to stop treating them that way. I'm not saying that parents who allow their children to get the shots or go on the pill are bad parents in any way. It is just my personal preference to not take a chance on medication. Then again, I am taking a chance that she could wind up becoming sexually active and have a problem as a result of that. I would rather take the latter chance.

what is with this restless leg stuff we see it more and more. It has to be a side effect of so many things that is wrong with the life styles now and the rotten diets people are on or the multitude of drugs.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. CBT, therapy, etc. cost more money than pills. A dr. can put someone on Klonopin, etc. and toss them right back into the work force. My panic attacks would get so bad that I couldn't leave the house, let alone work. The Klonopin worked for a while. It was cheaper to throw a few pills my way.

Oh well again the seniors are targeted with just about every drug know to man kind and I just hate seing this happen so often.

I could really get on a soabox about that one. Society just doesn't seem to care about peopole anymore. My first eight years of life were spent as an orphan. I don't think that society cared too much about people then either.

I have made my sisters promise not to ever let anyone give me a pill  of anykind in the hospital or anywhere else in the future. I don't even want an aspirin when I am done with this.

Pennyblue

Good for you!!