anyone out there taper off zanax with valium?

[pu...]

I just completed an 8 week taper off zanax, and have a Dr. appt. Mon. to begin the taper from 5&1/2mg of valium-taken one time per day.

I was wondering if someone else has tapered from valium, was it similar to your zanax taper expierence, or completely different.

Can you please post a thread under substitution tapers, or pm me directly.

Thanks, Pushover

Hi all,

Just to say, it is better and safer to post this stuff on the open forum rather the PM system.

Pushover, from my years of experience here at BenzoBuddies, I would say 'don't borrow trouble'. Reports of benzo withdrawal are very varied, and hugely skewed to those that experience major problems because they are far, far more likely to write about them. I mean, there is little reason for someone to post, 'another fine day tapering - it has been a breeze from start to finish'. Better to take it as it comes, willing to be flexible in your approach. There is nothing unusual in substituting for Valium, and you have every reason to think that tapering from Valium will be easier than it have been from Xanax. ;)

Just keep us updated of your progress, and Buddies will provide you with support when you need it.

I understand what you mean, collin. I did not visit the site often when I was having my fing windows. When I felt like hell, as I do today, I find reasurrance in reading that I'm not fing crazy, and these are just symptoms that will eventually pass.

I guess I'm just being impatient, and scaired, not knowing what to expect-like I was at the beginning of my zanax taper. It SUCKS, and I don't want to end up getting depressed and ruin my sobriety-6 months, on the 10th.

When I was ill with symptoms, I knew that they were symptoms of w/d, after reading posts of stoneyco, Keith and Mal. I mean come on, I would never have thought extreme hearing and smelling sensations were w/d's. Maybe I'm naive?

Well I'm being a little grouchy right now, and my neck and head are bothering me, so I'm gonna go. By the way, your article was well done, and I'm sending copies to my family members, and going to show my hubbie.

Thank you,Beth

My guess would be is that a valium taper for you would be similar to your xanax taper.  I'm not sure why there would be any difference.  But what do I know?????

But as Colin said, just take it one day at a time and you will do just fine.  Take each symptom as a sign of healing.  I have tried to take that approach, it helps some, but this is never easy :(

Ashton recommends a cross over to valium for a taper plan.  It may be easier because it is a longer acting Benzo.  I heard and have read that xanax can be one of the most difficult ones to taper off of.  Since Ashton recommends a crossover I would assume it will be better.  I just kept moving forward with my xanax taper and luckily I was able to do it.  Was it hard?  Yes, it is the most difficult thing I have ever done but it can be done.  Pushover I know you just want to know what to expect!  I am like that too.  No surprises.  Everyone is different so you can not assume that it will be the same as the next person.  Again, please read the Ashton Manual.  It is our guide on this journey!  Please know that we are here for you anytime you need us.  That is what got us through all the crazy times.  WE are all going through this or have gone through this.  Don't be afraid to ask.  Ohh, and we allow you to be grouchy!!  Even pissed off!  WE have been there and have felt that too.  You are in my prayers and I will always be there for you.  WE all want to be free of all this crap!

mal :smitten:

Hey pushover,

Was wondering how you were doing? I've been praying for you and can't wait to celebrate your being benzo free one day soon!

Lori :smitten:

Hi pushover,

It is very normal to be a little scared of this tapering process but as you already know, it is the only way to get to a normal life again.  When a new symptom appeared  I took it with a grain of salt.  The Ashton Manual lays out symptoms that may occur, therefore, I was not surprised when they popped up.  I know you will do this journey and we are all here for you.

Patty  xo

Hey pushover,

What mal said about valium compared to xanax is soooo true. It has a longer half-life, so it should be easier. You will more than likely still have some withdrawal symptoms, but just print up the Ashton Manual if you haven't yet, and read about your symptoms in there (to ease your mind). When I get a new withdrawal symptom, it always scares me at first, but then it passes. Then, if that one comes back, I remind myself that it happened before and went away and it will go away again. Any time you need to vent, DO IT! That's what we are here for. Just take it one day at a time; we get in trouble when we look past today!! Like mal said, this is the hardest thing she has done, but I know so worth it! I truly believe in my heart that it is worth it as well!!

Lori :smitten:

Hi Pushover:

It sounds like you are doing the crossover right. I switched from xanax to valium in quick time. I am having some WD, but I couldn't cut straight from xanax and I am having success cutting the valium. I went from 2-5 mgs xanax to 20mg valium and I am at around 5mg valium about 1.25mg midday and 2.5mg at night. I reserve the other 1.25mg if necessary since I cut back in about 5 weeks. Keep us posted on your progress. You should be fine. But like others have commented, everyone has their own experience.