the step-by-step approach to becoming benzo-free question

[Mi...]

the step-by-step approach to becoming benzo-free question.

It says to find how many pills you take and then go from there. But, I would think it matters what mg pills.

I take three doses of .25  so, does this mean I take three pills? Or, does it mean that I take .75 in the step-by-step approach.

Please help, Michael

the step-by-step approach to becoming benzo-free question.

It says to find how many pills you take and then go from there. But, I would think it matters what mg pills.

I take three doses of .25  so, does this mean I take three pills? Or, does it mean that I take .75 in the step-by-step approach.

Please help, Michael

Michael -

I'm sorry, Michael, I don't understand the question. You seem to be referring to detailed instructions for creating your own taper which is not really used any more. I did find a more recent description of the titration method here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=6393.msg61329#msg61329

There is now a link to some videos about the titration method at the end of that description which you may find helpful.

At any rate, if you have changed your mind about direct tapering by the dry cutting method, you would post a request for a titration schedule on the Titration Tapers board where you previously were posting.  In case you have lost track of where that is, here's a link to your thread on that board:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=10867.msg144918#msg144918

In fact, I am going to move all of this over there because it surely seems as if you have made your latest post on the Substitution Tapers board without intending to.  You might want to check out the Forum Users Guide for more information about the forum structure and how to get around it.  A link to the Guide is in the upper right just below the Search box. 

When you post the request, please include the following information:

•  The number of tablets (or fractions of tablets) taken daily, and the strength of those tablets. This is especially important if the daily dose is comprised of tablets of differing strengths.

•    The total daily dose in milligrams (mg).

•  The taper rate.  An example would be 10% every 2 weeks.

•  The volume of the cylinder being used, preferably 100 ml.

•  The increments (graduations) of the cylinder or other measuring equipment, preferably 1ml.

•  The desired starting date. At least 2 days should be allowed for the development of the schedule.

We also recommend that, prior to your request, you get the cylinder, syringe and mortar and pestle described in the titration instructions, although, strictly speaking, a small bowl and back of a spoon could be used instead of a mortar and pestle to grind up the pills.

I hope this helps.

Hi Michael,

<edit>I just realised, yours in not actually a titration question. However, the explanation I've provided is valid for both cases. The 'step-by-step' approach is based upon the same idea - you make cuts in proportion to your dose! So, it makes no difference if we are counting mgs, the number of tablets, or if you take benzos by the pound, cuts are made relative to your total dose. Hope this helps.</edit>

Our titration method utilises a spreadsheet that calculates your taper cuts as a proportion of your dose. How much you cut (unless on small dose) should be in proportion to your dose. So, for example, you take five 2mg tablets of Valium per day, or a single 10mg tablet, your taper rate will be exactly the same. The only difference is that your individual daily (or near daily) dose as a proportion of a single pill, would be greater with the smaller 2mg pills. This is because the method requires that you titrate just one of your pills at a time.

Example, a reduction of 1% of your dose, if taking five 2mg pills, would be a cut of 5% to just one of your daily pills. If, instead, you take a single 10mg pill, this would be 1% of this single pill (your only pill). So, the important thing is not the dose of the individual pills, but the number you take per day.

There is one small caveat: we do need to know the dose of your pills so that we can determin what would constitute a low dose for you. As I've already mentioned, cuts are relative to your total daily dose, so that the amount cut is reduced as your dose lowers. However, at a low dose, this is not so, a regular reduction is required. If this did not happen, the end part of your dose would be very protracted, and for no good reason. The titration spreadsheet I use automaticall switches so the amount being cut dos become smaller and smaller at a low dose, but steadies-out instead.