Lorazepam to Valium???

[Da...]

Was/am on Lorazepam 1mg everyday at night x 12 weeks. Psychiatrist suggests switch to Valium 5mg once at night. From what I've read this isn't the correct equivilant? yes? no? I'm a small woman, does body weight play a role in metabolozing?

What can I expect to happen with a direct switch? I already have tolerance withdrawal with the Lorazepam and this prompted him to do a direct switch. He says if I feel the same, this is good, if I feel slightly better, even better. My biggest problem right now is sleep. How will this impact it?

Any suggestions? anecdotal stories. I'd appreciate any advise.

Dannygirl

Was/am on Lorazepam 1mg everyday at night x 12 weeks. Psychiatrist suggests switch to Valium 5mg once at night. From what I've read this isn't the correct equivilant? yes? no? I'm a small woman, does body weight play a role in metabolozing?

What can I expect to happen with a direct switch? I already have tolerance withdrawal with the Lorazepam and this prompted him to do a direct switch. He says if I feel the same, this is good, if I feel slightly better, even better. My biggest problem right now is sleep. How will this impact it?

Any suggestions? anecdotal stories. I'd appreciate any advise.

Dannygirl

Hi Dannygirl,

The therapeutic dose of 1.0mg of Lorazepam is 10mg of Valium. Dr. Ashton recommends a slow crossover as it takes the Valium a few days to build up in your system. Did your dr. suggest dropping the Lorazepam in one night to switch to the Valium? You may want to take a look at the crossover charts in The Ashton Manual.

T2 :smitten:

i am currently tapering from lorazepam.  I didn't switch to valium as I heard that some have trouble with that.

I stablized on .75mg a day for a week then started to taper.  It has gone fairly well.  Some healing symptoms, but nothing unmanageable. 

Theresa2 has already corrected the switch over to valium to be 10 mg not 5mg.  go to:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

and print off the schedule suggested for switching to valium when you go to the doc.  Most docs are not very familiar with benzos and SAFE tapering.  Hopefully your doc will want to become more informed.

Be sure to ask any questions you may have.  There is alot of knowledgeable people on this board who are tapering or have tapered in various ways. 

• 2 weeks later...
hi dannygirl lorazepam is moor of a quick releasing benzo than dizapam,dizapam releases into the body moor slowly from my own experiments and wot i have been told and read,its always worrying where sleep is involved but in my experiences is theres not much to worry about 1ml of lorazepam is ruffly the same as 5ml of dizapam depending on the person so try not to let it play on your mind to much take good cear and chin up muller. :angel:

Hi,

If you are crossing to valium 1mg of Ativan is equal to 10mg valium, I have done this crossover in May 2008 and doing a slow taper at .5mgs a day every 14 days. seems to be working really well.

Hamish :)