Done

[La...]

Thanks to those who helped me. My withdrawal was actually pretty easy. Thanks again for that advice from the wonderful moderators and buddies, particularly Slownsteady. I had been taking Xanax for 15 years for insomnia, and I had no problems, I slept well with no other issues. I got mild tinnitus shortly after starting the Xanax. I heard insects all the time, like you would hear if you were camping by a lake. I never made a connection to the Xanax. After all this Xanax time, I got extremely ill with medical problems and I started taking more Xanax during the day, I was afraid of death which was my predicted probable outcome from my sickness. Even with increased night time dosages, my insomnia returned, but it was different. No longer would I even doze or relax in any way. I felt awake, an aggressive wakefulness that seemed like I had taken stimulants, so I went cold turkey for 5 days but the terror of this angry wakefulness continued and increased. Life became just an option. I took the good advice from BB and reinstated and began to taper. I slept again immediately and wanted to live again. My dry taper went smoothly, I had no problems with pill cutting and weighments. It all worked perfectly. My tinnitus had increased substantially during tapering, but I am still able to adapt.I pretend I’m camping. Even the sleeplessness has become “normal” insomnia, the same reason I got the Xanax so long ago. Deep, solid sleep never returned, but I can function well throughout the day. I was whole again.

I feel incredibly lucky. The withdrawal symptoms I have seen on this forum are often so terrible that I cry. Every body system can be affected. Every part of the brain can be affected. Every time I log on to BB I find some effect I never heard of, and I have to look it up. Even after my own experience I am amazed at the horrors of this drug. I was lucky. I wonder if it ever should be prescribed; the risk factor is way too high, and most physicians don’t know enough about it.

I know this is my success story, but there is not a lot of joy in it. I am so sad for all you who are suffering so much. I even feel a little guilty about the relative ease I got off the poison, compared to so many.

I wish you all success.

In my darkest times these words from Dylan Thomas helped me:

Do not go gently into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying light.

I'm happy to hear you're doing so well, glad not every taper and recovery is a nightmare so its good you wrote your story.  I hope your deep sleep returns. 

• 5 weeks later...
Lard I don’t know how I missed this. But you were blessed not to endure what most of us go through. I’m happy to hear of how you had an easy WD. Please enjoy your life to the fullest. Thank you for extending your sympathy for those of us still suffering the cruel after effects of these pills. I totally agree that these medications are dangerous and should be taken off the market because the risk is way too high. I wish you all the best.