Almost a year

[Ol...]

Hi everyone

Hope you’re all doing well and possibly looking at this thread with all the success stories to give you more encouragement.

Back in September 2021, I stopped xanax after 32 years. I didn’t take up another habit to replace that one. Instead like so many other vices I had, I quit them. In the case of xanax, I tapered down with the help of a doctor. My biggest problem stopping was that my mind continually raced SS with nonsense. It’s was only I took up exercising, did third thoughts stop. After stopping, my body and mind played some tricks on me that wanted me to start using again. A big part of my success is this board and all the good advice I received.

It is so nice not to have to fill those prescriptions any longer nor make sure I had enough pills if I went out of town etc.

my first bit of advice is not to listen to those thoughts but keep occupied. Don’t overthink. Keep busy and eat healthy food…..It’s ok to cheat.

Everyone is different but it’s nice to hear others tell their stories.

Stay safe and enjoy life.

Peace

Hi Old Sal, thank you for letting us know how you are and what has helped you, I've always loved your avatar, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.  I used the success stories a lot when I was recovering, I didn't believe they were written by real people though, until I wrote one, you know how our mind plays tricks on us.  Thank you again, I hope you'll keep coming around to encourage people.  :smitten:

Hi Old Sal! I know we chatted some a while back.  I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and how nice of you to come back to encourage others! I hope your life is rolling along smoothly.  I'm 13 months off all meds now and still recovering but seeing progress.  Take good care of yourself and thanks again.

I also love your avatar….nothing more beautiful than little ones holding the hand of a beloved parent or grandparent!

Thank you for sharing your story….it gives those of us still struggling faith that we too will heal and enjoy a healthy life!!!

GG

Thank you Old Sal for sharing your success and great tips.  Ignoring those annoying/scary thoughts and keeping busy is such good advice.  And aren’t our grandkids just some of the best medicine God can give? 🥰

Congratulations!  I am right on your heels, it will make one year for me as well in a couple of weeks.  I want to let everyone know that there is relief on the other side of this.  The healing continues long after discontinuing the drug.

Hope this finds each of you well!