Almost a year off after 25 years use!

[Je...]

So my story goes like this. i have been on klonpin for 25 years and been off for 333 days. It have been the toughest thing i have done in a long time. I am here to say that if i can stop and get on a road of recovery anyone can. I never planned on stopping it was just how it worked out. Benzos did allot of harm to my brain and body but i’m healing and to say i sleep today is a miracle. Most days i feel pretty good. I am more productive than i have ever been on  klonpin. I have to learn to live differently and I really work on this daily. Using a substance to calm down is bad news for me and I realize that when i would take klonpin it covers all my emotions also so it dulls the experience of life. I feel so grateful to have made it this far. If you are on your journey keep going. I still have a few symptoms but nothing like when i was on it and tapering.

God bless and good luck.

Jeremy

• Like 5

Jeremy:  how did you taper?

I am taking valium for over 20+ years.  Currently at 15-16mg from an initial 20mg.  Began on Easter this year.  Your story gives the rest of us hope.  Any lingering effects?

In other areas I am reading what I call 'horror stories' of PAWS, and 'going through hell', with side effects still lingering 2-3-4 years after the drug was stopped - all based upon the slow GABA healing process.

You took Klonopin for 25 years? 

These Z drugs wouldn't be as bad as some others if it weren't for the lingering damage to the GABA receptors left to heal long after the drug is out of the system.  The dreaded "PAWS" syndrome.

Based on Dr. Ashton, some people may need a very long time to heal, or never heal  or must stay on the drug.  Everyone is different - biochemistry and some luck and willpower. 

My short term memory has been affected, that I can tell. At first I thought it was old age. But now I have second thoughts.

I was also taking Baclofen which is another GABA beast.  I stopped it overnight at 120mg.  First day was nothing much, but it hit me like a wall of bricks on the second day - hard.  Tremors, shakes, anxiety, etc.  Only 40-60mg of valium helped slow the side effects.  It finally resolved on its own after about 3 weeks of thinking I was going nuts permanently.  I took it for the damage to my neck cervical area.   

I also stopped Tramadol given for the low back and neck pain; I have a lot of spinal damage.  The last to go is this valium.

I noticed my lost interest in the things I used to enjoy doing; fixing cars, getting dirty, repairing computers, software programming, etc.  Now I mostly sit on the sofa and watch TV until time to sleep, where I hope i get a few hours of peace.

I call it the 'idiot's routine'.  I used to drive my wife all over Florida to different beaches at the drop of the hat. Now at 70, my rear end barely gets off the couch.   

My retirement life is a routine of visiting different doctor offices and labs for blood work (cancer survivor), then back on the sofa.

I am taking valium for over 20+ years.  Currently at 15-16mg from an initial 20mg.  Began on Easter this year.  Your story gives the rest of us hope.  Any lingering effects?

In other areas I am reading what I call 'horror stories' of PAWS, and 'going through hell', with side effects still lingering 2-3-4 years after the drug was stopped - all based upon the slow GABA healing process.

You took Klonopin for 25 years? 

These Z drugs wouldn't be as bad as some others if it weren't for the lingering damage to the GABA receptors left to heal long after the drug is out of the system.  The dreaded "PAWS" syndrome.

Based on Dr. Ashton, some people may need a very long time to heal, or never heal  or must stay on the drug.  Everyone is different - biochemistry and some luck and willpower. 

My short term memory has been affected, that I can tell. At first I thought it was old age. But now I have second thoughts.

I was also taking Baclofen which is another GABA beast.  I stopped it overnight at 120mg.  First day was nothing much, but it hit me like a wall of bricks on the second day - hard.  Tremors, shakes, anxiety, etc.  Only 40-60mg of valium helped slow the side effects.  It finally resolved on its own after about 3 weeks of thinking I was going nuts permanently.  I took it for the damage to my neck cervical area.   

I also stopped Tramadol given for the low back and neck pain; I have a lot of spinal damage.  The last to go is this valium.

I noticed my lost interest in the things I used to enjoy doing; fixing cars, getting dirty, repairing computers, software programming, etc.  Now I mostly sit on the sofa and watch TV until time to sleep, where I hope i get a few hours of peace.

I call it the 'idiot's routine'.  I used to drive my wife all over Florida to different beaches at the drop of the hat. Now at 70, my rear end barely gets off the couch.   

My retirement life is a routine of visiting different doctor offices and labs for blood work (cancer survivor), then back on the sofa.

Man I get it. I still have some symptoms but the real bad issues seem to be calmed down. I get anxiety and some panic but it’s much more bearable. I was weak and tired for along time. I think my gaba is healing i just need to be patient. I think i have a different life and i have to keep developing different routines to help me so I learn to cope in a healthy way.

If you need anything keywest please message me. I’m here to help you. You’re not alone. keep

your head up buddy.

• 3 weeks later...

I took Temazepam and prn x for that long.  Switched to V 15 mg. Im now at 4 mg V and doing what I need to do.  Not as much travel bc car vibrations exacerbate my Tinn but I get through the night with a weighted blanket, melatonin and spray on magnesium.  Praying for your easy taper.  Good luck.

Peace,

Alycat

• 2 months later...

Checking back in. I have been off for almost 15 months. some days i feel good other days are kinda tough we’re i am very weak. all and all it has gotten better. just extremely slow. i am very blessed to be off that med. it is evil. Love ya all 🙏

• Like 2

that is such good news. I totally relate to everything feeling dulled. When I started to get through recovery I noticed that everything felt louder, brighter, shinier. In some ways it was amazing and in others it was overwhelming. Now I feel so grateful to be able to experience life through my own eyes. Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[s...] said:

that is such good news. I totally relate to everything feeling dulled. When I started to get through recovery I noticed that everything felt louder, brighter, shinier. In some ways it was amazing and in others it was overwhelming. Now I feel so grateful to be able to experience life through my own eyes. Congrats!

how long have you been off? 

23 hours ago, [[J...] said:

how long have you been off? 

Almost a year now, I'm about 11 months. Started feeling normal ish at about 7 months but still having some symptoms. Now I am just dealing with headaches that pop up from time to time but doing well. Very excited to be getting better. 

Thank you for this. I am coming off of clonazepan after 18 years use. I hope one day to write my success story but I still need to get off the remaining 3/4 taper. I wanted so bad to hear from someone who was a long time user and got off clonazepan and is doing ok. I am scared because my entire adult life has been on the meds and I’ve been successful now coming off of it things are getting a little rocky. I hope that they will balance out and that life on the other side is better and I’m healthier in the long run for getting off the meds. I hope your healing continues trending on in a positive direction 

• Like 1