Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

Hello!  For those of you who took ambien / zolpidem ,  wondering at what dosage you jumped off?  And how did it go... did you notice it?

Thanks!

Hi Barb. My method was a dry cut. I measured a small mark on my pill then cut. I reduced to a tiny crumb then jumped. According to my calculations it was less than half a mg.once I got to the lower doses ( 4mg and below) it wasn’t putting me to sleep. It actually turned paradoxical on me making me sick every time I took it. But according to the Valium equivalent, it was too much to jump from so I continued my taper and just dealt with it. No I didn’t even miss it or notice any difference. I grew to hate taking it anyway.

As I tapered many of my symptoms faded fast! Also I NEVER had rebound insomnia because I began CBT-I therapy when I began my taper. I believe that saved me and trained my brain to put me to sleep as I went down. My acute was a delayed acute not starting until I was about 10-14 days after I jumped. It wasn’t a long acute and bearable….not easy or not symptoms free but doable with meditation and breathing exercises. I incorporated several coping tools to implement at certain times. Weighted blanket, spa music, something to cuddle, dark quiet room, online games, tv etc.

The biggest fear is not getting enough sleep. That’s normal to feel that way. But the brain will make sure you survive the insomnia. Not ONE person on here died from lack of not sleeping well. Is it hard to be sleep deprived….hell yes but it’s temporary and can be done. Taking micro naps and getting near sleep is helpful. When the brain needs sleep it will find a way.

Best wishes to you. I hope this answered your questions. I found that if I didn’t make a big deal about jumping, it made it easy to do. I didn’t let my mind wrestle with the what ifs. I set my date. Jumped and celebrated by flushing the remaining pills down the toilet so you won’t rescue dose. I picked a nice movie as a distraction and ignored that I wasn’t taking that evil pill anymore. I was soooooo happy!

Hugs 🤗

hi all,

I'm wondering what "benzo belly" is? and does it apply to z drugs too? I'm tapering and have gone down to 1.875mg zopiclone the day before yesterday. I do have some bleeding and heartburn - I used to get these two things quite regularly but haven't for a long time. I'm not worried but it is unpleasant - could be related to deyhdration and could be nothing to do with zop.

Which cbt-i did you use?  I think There are different versions?  Did you just take an online course?

I have had a sleep problem (circadian rhythm disorder and insomnia) most of my life.  Pre benzo.  Benzos were really the only med i could tak that allowed me to sleep nad have a schedule and work and have a career.  Now i am old and worn out and wonder if i'd be better off.

Yes, am at a crumb that does not put me to sleep.  But nothing does so that is an issue.

IF I could sleep, could heal, I think.

No, I never nap.  Never have.  What can I say.  I am a tough case.

Thanks

hi all,

I'm wondering what "benzo belly" is? and does it apply to z drugs too? I'm tapering and have gone down to 1.875mg zopiclone the day before yesterday. I do have some bleeding and heartburn - I used to get these two things quite regularly but haven't for a long time. I'm not worried but it is unpleasant - could be related to deyhdration and could be nothing to do with zop.

Mariposta,

Z drugs can definitely cause benzo belly.  My doctor alerted me to that early on when I first began taking Lunesta.  Benzo belly is bloating, gas, diarrhea, pain, etc.  I'm so sorry you are dealing with that.  The bleeding doesn't sound like benzo belly though. 

Helen

Thank you Helen. I think the bleeding was just from constipation as I've had that before. It's stopped now. I'm really hoping I'm not going to suffer too badly with withdrawals but I guess we will see. fingers crossed.

hi all,

Mari, benzo belly can be a WD symptom of Zdrugs. ANY of the benzo WD symptoms can be seen in Zdrug WD because pretty much Zdrugs are like a cousin to benzos acting on the SAME receptors.

Benzo belly is a tight squeezing of the belly area with gastro symptoms, bloating ( like a pregnant belly) and trouble eating. Other belly issues are also symptoms of WD- heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, acid reflux, stomach cramps, low or no appetite, increased appetite, low blood sugar due to slow digestion, stomach gurgling which is usually loud, nausea, weight loss/ weight gain, strange stools ( appearance/ consistency/color), foul medicine smelling stools and blood in stool or urine has been reported as well. It’s ideal to drink plenty of water or fluids until your healing is complete. But be careful not to go overdo the intake because too much water can cause a serious life threatening emergency- throwing off your sodium levels in the blood. Dehydration is also a symptom. Pretty much, there’s so many symptoms that people often think it must be something serious or something else going on….most people go to the doctor to get many tests and they end up concluding that it’s just WD. But, if something is really making you concerned then there’s nothing wrong with a trip to the doctor to put your mind at ease. These symptoms mimick many other diseases. They’re frightening, debilitating and can last long periods. So much so that people start thinking it must be something else. Given time, however long, they all fade or just disappear suddenly. They may circle back but most of the time it’s milder each time until it’s gone. I’m a witness that is true! I’ve had many symptoms the same ones on the benzo WD list. The healing or fading of these symptoms are also the same course of benzo WD….wax and wane gradually fading becoming milder SLOWLY over time. The ones that are left now are vestibular symptoms of boatiness, being unbalanced at times and a few other annoying ones. But they’re also improving although have hung around since day one.

Hope this helped answer your question.

Which cbt-i did you use?  I think There are different versions?  Did you just take an online course?

I have had a sleep problem (circadian rhythm disorder and insomnia) most of my life.  Pre benzo.  Benzos were really the only med i could tak that allowed me to sleep nad have a schedule and work and have a career.  Now i am old and worn out and wonder if i'd be better off.

Yes, am at a crumb that does not put me to sleep.  But nothing does so that is an issue.

IF I could sleep, could heal, I think.

No, I never nap.  Never have.  What can I say.  I am a tough case.

Thanks

I used my own tailored method taken from the basic CBT-I. 15-20 minutes of morning sunlight. An hour before bed get a bath, turn off the lights and meditation with spa music while breathing as if asleep keeping my focus on being in a garden or the beach. I also mentally say to myself with eyes closed limp like a baby

“Relaxxxxxxx……calmmmmm……ahhhhhhh……sleepppppp”. Slowly with each exhale.

I also don’t take naps because I want to be tired at night. This is called sleep restriction. It’s part of my sleep therapy. I go to bed at the same time each night and wake the same time each morning. I also was a very tough case. Now I sleep pretty well.

Thank you Helen. I think the bleeding was just from constipation as I've had that before. It's stopped now. I'm really hoping I'm not going to suffer too badly with withdrawals but I guess we will see. fingers crossed.

Yes! Fingers crossed. You may not have a bad journey so be open to the experience.  Hang in there!

Hi Zzers,u

The coming days, till monday, it will be very hot here. Around 30 degrees (86 F). Today I went swimming, and it was really busy there, lots of people. Mostly kids. I did my 700m (763 yard) in the 50m pool and that was ok, not much people in my lane. Yesterday I accidentally took my morning medication (antidepressant) an hour too late. So that makes me feel not good also. This rarely happens to me luckily. What do you think of my English btw? Hugggggs Jerry  :thumbsup:

Hi Zzers,u

The coming days, till monday, it will be very hot here. Around 30 degrees (86 F). Today I went swimming, and it was really busy there, lots of people. Mostly kids. I did my 700m (763 yard) in the 50m pool and that was ok, not much people in my lane. Yesterday I accidentally took my morning medication (antidepressant) an hour too late. So that makes me feel not good also. This rarely happens to me luckily. What do you think of my English btw? Hugggggs Jerry  :thumbsup:

Jerry,

Take care in the heat.  It will certainly bring out more people for swimming! Sorry about your medication mix up.  Things happen.  I hope you'll feel better soon.  Your English is GREAT!! I can't speak Dutch at all.  Haha.  I speak some Spanish and French but no Dutch! You're doing great.

Helen

Hi Zzers,u

Jerry,

Take care in the heat.  It will certainly bring out more people for swimming! Sorry about your medication mix up.  Things happen.  I hope you'll feel better soon.  Your English is GREAT!! I can't speak Dutch at all.  Haha.  I speak some Spanish and French but no Dutch! You're doing great.

Helen

Thank you!!! I stay inside with the heat, luckily I have outside sun screens in my living room and also a fan inside. In my bedroom I have got an airco which I turn on in the evening. I learned English in high school, also German and French for a few years. I loved reading SF/Fantasy books in English. For example The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and books by Orson Scott Card. Huggss Jerry :smitten::thumbsup:

Ha Z group, I a m not feeling great at the moment, the common morning hangover so to say. It is still very warm here. The coming days the temperature will slowly go down again. I’ll wait with my next taper step till the temperature is low enough. Further no news from me. Huggs Jeroen  :thumbsup:

Jeroen,

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well and hope your heat gets lower very soon. I think you are smart to hold your taper until the air cools down.  Take good care.

Lady Den, how are you? 

I'm doing pretty well for the past 7 days...not perfect but pretty well and I'm grateful. 

I wish good sleep and good days for all here.

Helen

Helen this is so awesome to read you’ve had 7 consecutive days of feeling pretty good! That is a good sign that your brain is healing well. You’re very smart to not go overboard. I’m so happy for you. I tried to walk yesterday and it was a no go . Well, today I’ll try again. Honestly I’m not as bad as last weekend so I’m counting my blessings. Onward we go to heal and be free of this crazy roller coaster.

Always my love to you ❤️🌹

Hugs to you too Jerry, Mari and all Team Z in the background just reading.

Helen this is so awesome to read you’ve had 7 consecutive days of feeling pretty good! That is a good sign that your brain is healing well. You’re very smart to not go overboard. I’m so happy for you. I tried to walk yesterday and it was a no go . Well, today I’ll try again. Honestly I’m not as bad as last weekend so I’m counting my blessings. Onward we go to heal and be free of this crazy roller coaster.

Always my love to you ❤️🌹

Hugs to you too Jerry, Mari and all Team Z in the background just reading.

LD, I'm sorry you couldn't walk yesterday. Gosh, I hate that. But it's good you notice it was better than the weekend before. Let's leave yesterday in the rubbish bin and move on to today where I hope things go better for you.  I'm here pulling for you!

Thanks for cheering me on.  Still no Drunk Capt Sparrow around here. 

Helen

How wonderful Helen that Captain Jack walked the plank!

:highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: :highfive:

I pray he doesn’t come back! Thanks for the encouragement. And yes you know me, I’m not giving up. I’ll go walking today and will succeed!  :thumbsup:

Enjoy your day dear friend

Ha Zzers, I still have really tough days. Outdoors the temperature has gone down, indoors it is still 25/26 degrees. When the indoor temperature will lower too, I will do my next taper step. Now it is time to visit my father for an evening meal. Hugggggggs Jerry  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi all,

I am stuck with my taper and REALLY struggling with the interdose withdrawals. And I'm talking way more than "this feels uncomfortable". Intrusive thoughts, SI, brain feels like it's being pulled apart, can't think straight, can't see straight, DP/DR, vertigo - it's really quick extreme.

How do people manage the interdose withdrawals? It's halted my taper because I'm seriously not functioning.

Or is it at this point that a swap over to a longer acting benzo like Valium is called for?

I've made it to 2.87mg. But as soon as I go lower, it becomes truly unbearable.

Would love some guidance on this.

Pugtragic x

Hi all,

I am stuck with my taper and REALLY struggling with the interdose withdrawals. And I'm talking way more than "this feels uncomfortable". Intrusive thoughts, SI, brain feels like it's being pulled apart, can't think straight, can't see straight, DP/DR, vertigo - it's really quick extreme.

How do people manage the interdose withdrawals? It's halted my taper because I'm seriously not functioning.

Or is it at this point that a swap over to a longer acting benzo like Valium is called for?

Pugtragic x

What are you tapering?

Hi all,

Pugtragic x

What are you tapering?

Putting your medication history into your signature will help others see your situation at a glance instead of having to read back through your posts, here are the instructions. Add your history/signature