How do I taper off of Restoril (temazapam).

[Tw...]

What materials/methods can I use to taper off of 30mg Restoril?  I have approximately 60 of the 30mg tablets left.  They are an outer capsule with a powder inside.  I have only been taking it five days a week, but after several years I am hesitant to just stop taking it altogether.  My medical provider doesn’t want to prescribe it anymore and just wants me to switch to doxepin for my insomnia.  Even though I do not use it every night, I am afraid of just stopping outright.

Well if you only have 60 capsules left, you probably should not do a liquid taper because, the way most people do it, you end up wasting benzos.

Did you know you can open the capsules?  It is a simple twist and pull apart.  Perhaps you can open the capsules and remove some (saving it) and take the rest? 

Do you think you can open the capsules and with your eyeball, divide the powder into 10 piles?  Use a razor blade to divide into 10 piles. 

Let me know if you can do that.  If so, I could make you a taper schedule which lets you drop 10% each reduction.

Yes, I have opened them before.  I have previously split the powder in half to have two doses for the night.  I already have gelatin capsules.  Do I need a scale?  Doing the math, that would probably be a precision lab scale (analytical balance).  It has been a little while since my lab tech days.

Well if you can divide the powder from one capsule into 10 equal piles (using your eyeball and a razor blade), then you can easily taper without a scale.  Remember, you do not need to be exact.  Benzos stay in the blood a long time so a little error is insignificant.  Also, even a scale has errors at these low weights.

But if you want to use a scale for some reason, here is one you can buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Precision-Milligram-Calibration/dp/B011J88S8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541012152&sr=8-1&keywords=Smart+Weigh+Premium+High+Precision+Digital+Milligram+Scale+with+Case%2C+Tweezers%2C+Calibration+Weights+and+Three+Weighing+Pans%2C+50+x+0.001g

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the benzo dry taper math website.  I did more research.  I was alternating between the two benzos.  I cut out the Xanax, put myself on a steady dose of Restoril, and have been tapering since.  Hubby is a math genius and created a spreadsheet.  I did have a consult with a doctor who specializes in tapering ($275 per month and he does not take insurance).  I am signed on, but have had some issues with the onboarding appointment (I sat in on a zoom meeting for about 30 minutes this morning to only be told that the appointment was only the result of a scheduling error).  So far the appointment has been changed four times and is now scheduled for next month.  Currently I have enough for about a 24 week taper.  The doctor I consulted with does not believe it necessary to cross taper to another drug, and is suggesting a minimum one year taper.  I am on the fence about staying with the doctor after all the scheduling snafus.

• 5 weeks later...
I was on Restoril for about 8 years. I just recently (November 2022) crossed over to Valium and it has been so much easier for me.  I got myself down to 15mg Restoril then crossed over to 5mg Valium.  That was a big jump and wasn’t easy but I stabilized and am glad I stuck with it.  Restoril has such a short half life that it made it very difficult for me to taper.  I feel better on Valium.  No interdose withdrawals, no cravings.  I’ve healed a lot already on the way down.  I’m currently on 2mg.  Good luck!