Re: Water taper

[...]

Good morning, Bob!

I am new, I have been reading your posts.  You are definitely a guy I need on my team.  I was hoping you could help me with a simple taper plan.  In my signature you will see what I am on.  I do not take any other medications and I do not drink alcohol or take street drugs.  I am 53 yrs. old and a wife, mother, business owner.  I really got myself into a pickle taking this medication from a pdoc who assured me I could easily just stop!  I advised doc I want to stop; I have an appointment coming up in June.  I would like to request .25mg tablets.  I currently have broken up all my 1mg tablets into .5mg.  Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would like to go slow so I can continue to work through this process.  I am well aware of the hell in front of me, but all this great information has me prepared to ride the waves till I reach the shore. 

Patiently awaiting your response....

I will help you.

First decision to make is how you want to taper.  Do you want to dry cut and hold or do a liquid taper?

Bob

Hi!

Thank you for your quick response.

I am being open minded about this. 

I think I would like to dry taper down to .25mg and then water taper. 

Your thoughts?

That is a very good plan.

Many people can get the lion's share of the taper done with a simple pill splitter and then cut and hold.

Here is some advice.

Try never to updose.  Once you make a reduction, you don't want to go back up.  I have seen it cause problems - it gets harder the second time you reduce.

Buy a pill splitter on amazon.  Do not worry about being perfect with the size of your pill splitting. Benzos stay in the blood long enough. If you get a little more one day and a little less the next, it tends to not be too important.  I find "worrying" about it creates anxiety and it is the anxiety which feeds your symptoms.

Cut your pills into 1/8 bits, then reduce 1/8 bit and hold for 10 days or until your symptoms are tolerable, whichever is longer.

B

Hi,

Cut all .5mg pills into 1/8 bits right now or reduce one dose by 1/8?

Taking .5mg in the am and .25mg in the afternoon and .5mg in the evening.

sorry, trying to get it right.

I meant to cut the pills in 1/8 bits and then just reduce one 1/8 bit each time you do a taper.

It would be even smoother if you had 0.25mg pills instead of 0.5mg but either will work fine.

Okay, I understand. 

I ordered the pill splitter from Amazon as suggested.

I will start as soon as it is delivered. 

So super appreciative for all your advice.

I am so new, never been in a situation like this before.

I am considering lowering my morning dose to .25mg, is that too much right now?

That is a 20% reduction. 

I know your pill splitter is on the way but it would be better to cut one of your 0.5 mg pills into 1/4 size a drop 1/4 of a pill (0.125).  That is only 10%.

After that, do not drop any faster than 1/8 of a pill.  Remember, if you go too fast, all the drops can catch up and hit you all at once.  But sure to hold at least 10 days even if your symptoms are stable.

Hi Bob!

That sounds very logical.

1/4 of .5mg is how I will proceed.

Thanks, feeling very hopeful.

okay,

you guessed it! Insomnia... but I am sleeping a little more the last few nights.

I am prepared to go back to hardly sleeping with this next cut.

fingers crossed; I can manage to be functional.

Best Regards,

BB22