A/ D's for depression?

[ca...]

yep - they only benefit drug companies - cognitive therapy is much more effective - but drugs are used instead.

it is sad - but i think people are catching on.

i was reading an article in yesterdays paper were they did a study using placebos vs drugs on psychiatric and retarded patients to curb violence,  patients and the placebo group did better - although they said regardless of the stats that they did the same - even saying that they did the same would be considered controversial.

I think some of the original ssri drug trials (prozac, paxil, etc) showed placebo as effective as the AD. And cognitive therapy more effective than AD.

POISON - ALL OF THEM. I'm scared and angry about the short time I have been on them - they have done NOTHING but harm to me. I so wish I knew then what I know NOW. I worry for friends of mine who take these poisons and think that it is ok. Since this has happened to me, I certainly voice my strong opionion that drug companies are evil and doctors don't know what they're doing. Though some people are catching on, most still believe that these drugs are ok and that these drug companies are not out to harm. Drug companies only have $ signs in their eyes. I'll join any group that will help to shed light on the real truth of these poisons.

Jane 

Have you all looked at the whole website that Carole posted a link to?  It is run by a mental health advocate from Michigan. A lot of his stuff is very sarcastic and caustic. Nice link.

I agree with everyone that these drugs are nothing but poison. When I tried any of them I felt poisoned.  :sick: It is enough to make you sick just reading the side effects of these drugs.

[54...]
A good friend went on ADs (the first one was PROZAC) about 14 years ago for what has been diagnosed as "clinical depression".  Throughout those years, he has been taking what I believe to be ALL other ADs because the previous ones stopped working... he is on something now, maybe Wellbutrin or Effexor XR plus Adderall, an amphetamine (which is supposedly for attention deficit) but he uses them just to get out of bed on certain days.  He is in worse shape than ever now and I am absolutely certain that he has been poisoned nearly to death with these so-called anti-depressants.  I haven't heard from him for over 4 months since his mother passed away.  He has told me in the past year that the "illness is getting worse"...and I can't really talk to him about it being the meds anymore... he is a total wreck with no signs of improvement.  He can barely function now and does not work at all.  If this is the way that ADs makes one feel better, I would rather stick my head in a gas oven than live like that.  I'm absolutely certain that the ADs have destroyed him.  :tickedoff:

A good friend went on ADs (the first one was PROZAC) about 14 years ago for what has been diagnosed as "clinical depression".  Throughout those years, he has been taking what I believe to be ALL other ADs because the previous ones stopped working... he is on something now, maybe Wellbutrin or Effexor XR plus Adderall, an amphetamine (which is supposedly for attention deficit) but he uses them just to get out of bed on certain days.  He is in worse shape than ever now and I am absolutely certain that he has been poisoned nearly to death with these so-called anti-depressants.  I haven't heard from him for over 4 months since his mother passed away.  He has told me in the past year that the "illness is getting worse"...and I can't really talk to him about it being the meds anymore... he is a total wreck with no signs of improvement.  He can barely function now and does not work at all.  If this is the way that ADs makes one feel better, I would rather stick my head in a gas oven than live like that.  I'm absolutely certain that the ADs have destroyed him.  :tickedoff:

:'(

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends,

The more I read about antidepressants, the more I am afraid to try another one. I only stayed on antidepressants for about two weeks post C/T in 2002 and they made me sicker. I believe that my symptoms mimic clinical depression, but I am firmly convinced the depression is Valium-induced since, when I first fell ill a year-and-a-half ago in Nova Scotia, I simply told my husband that I was having a heart problem and I walked to the hospital. I had no fear, depression or anything else. I was just matter of fact and dealing with it. Now, I am even scared to see the dentist for a cleaning because I am so depressed and agoraphobic from the Valium. I was not on any drugs in Nova Scotia. The drugging of Americans seems to be the going thing right now. Anything to make money for Big Pharma.

Love,

Genie

My experience and opinion on A/D:  They ONLY make things worse while on them...and coming off of them is torture too. Run, don't walk, from A/Ds.

Jane  :smitten:

Genie, this last year when I was put on klonopin, I wasn't depressed at the time. within 2 weeks, I was in a clinical depression. It basically lasted until about a month or 2 ago, when I was halfway thru my taper. It just lifted, and is completely gone. :yippee:

As for valium, there  were times in my past where i would take a one time dose, usually given to me by a friend, either for a stressfull situation, or just for the "fun" of it. I would always be profoundly depressed the next day or so. Every single time.

I think all benzos do this eventually, and I think (and have read)that valium is especially depression-producing. It will begin to lift as you get lower I am sure of it. So just know that it isn't forever. :)

Hi

I have a wierd history, but I remember finishing a 2 week 30 mg of xanax "treatment" and would cry and not sleep for 3 days, not something I'm prone to, thought it was me wish I knew then that it was Xanax.

Bob

there are times when life is well sad - maybe even depressing but that does not mean that we can drop a pill and everything is great again.

[54...]

Hi

I have a wierd history, but I remember finishing a 2 week 30 mg of xanax "treatment" and would cry and not sleep for 3 days, not something I'm prone to, thought it was me wish I knew then that it was Xanax.

Bob

Same thing happened to me.  Instead of Xanax being a relief after a while, it created some deep, dark moments and fits of crying where there would normally not be any at all.  >:(

• 2 weeks later...
with insurance companies, when it comes to depression, they would much prefer to pay for pills than therapy, as pills are much cheaper than cognitive therapy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this subject, too, since I have been clinically depressed more or less steadily since long before I ever took a benzo (20+ years).  Prozac worked for a year or two but it led to a script for klonopin because of what is now referred to as restless leg syndrome at night.  The klonopin morphed into the ativan/lorazepam which I am on now and weaning off of - finally.

I am hopeful that once the the benzos are out of my symptoms my depression symptoms will improve.  However, I am afraid to try weaning off the one I am now on since my mood definitely has improved since I started taking it.  I started my lorazepam taper shortly after going on the A/D but I can't believe that the amount of improvement is due solely to the benzo reduction.  I know it's probably possible it just doesn't seem likely from what I've read.

Tomorrow I "interview" a new psych doc and will be discussing my psych meds and benzo taper with her, I'm sure.  I have my fingers crossed that she is one of those rare psych docs that supports their patients desire to take as little medication as possible and a reasonably slow benzo taper. 

beeper - there was a point when i knew i would be getting off - i just kept my mouth shut - got as many benzo's as i could and stock piled them.

shrinks are on some real power trip might be some good ones - but wouldn't let my taper depend on it.

Met with the new psych. doc and liked her. She thinks I am on the right track with a slow taper off lorazepam.  :) 

Also suggested I not change other meds unless the stimulating effect of Wellbutrin causes me a problem. She said that being on the lowest therapeutic dose, I could just stop taking it anytime I want to without worrying about withdrawal.  I'd like to know if others have had a problem stopping Wellbutrin.  Since my mood has improved during the 4 weeks I've been on it, I don't want to stop it unless this nervous energy gets to be too much.  Would be nice to know that if I need to, I could just stop taking it.  BTW, I'm taking the XL version so I can't cut the pill in half.

Also suggested I not change other meds unless the stimulating effect of Wellbutrin causes me a problem. She said that being on the lowest therapeutic dose, I could just stop taking it anytime I want to without worrying about withdrawal.  I'd like to know if others have had a problem stopping Wellbutrin.  Since my mood has improved during the 4 weeks I've been on it, I don't want to stop it unless this nervous energy gets to be too much.  Would be nice to know that if I need to, I could just stop taking it.  BTW, I'm taking the XL version so I can't cut the pill in half.

I was on 150 sr, which is shorter acting than xl. I reduced to 100. I've been on for about  8 months now. The day before yesterday I cut down to 75mg immediate release. My psych doc said his patients usually jump off 150 with no problems. It's not like an ssri. But I still don't want to take any chances, lol. Ill probably end up cutting the 75 in half for a couple of weeks.

I don't about xl, but my doc said I could cut the sr (sustained release) in half, but it would just eliminate the slow release. It would be like taking immediate release. I'm a little weary of that idea though, so don't do it.

If it's helpful, I would stay on it for now. 150 was too stimulating for me.     

Hi, Everyone,

Maybe I was lucky I could not tolerate any antidepressants, but sometimes the depression is so bad, I just wish I weren't around anymore, although suicide is against my religious beliefs. I could never harm myself, but I am depressed beyond belief. I never was depressed pre-Valium, so I KNOW it's the drug, as if that really helps!

Love,

Genie

i have an artistic temperament - better know to (some) doctors as manic depressant only i am not that - just moody - sometimes life is a bummer - sometime people just can't be up all the time.

it is scary to think everyone is suppose to be level all the time or drugged.  not feeling well is depressing - the irony of this is many of the drugs to treat depression make a person feel nuts or sick.