Who has recovered from extremely sensitive hearing? (Hyperacusis)

[Re...]

Who has recovered from extremely sensitive hearing? I know the term for it now -- hyperacusis. I feel like I have a dog's ears and can hear everything louder than it is. It started while getting off of Ativan.

I am now in month four of PAWS. The sound sensitivity got better within the first two months of withdrawal, returned in month three for some odd reason, and has persisted for the last three weeks again.

I have some questions:

When/how did this symptom present for you?

When/how did it go away?

How long did it take to heal? 

I asked my daughter the other night if she could remember when we went to the symphony with my parents when I was recovering and had to leave the theater and wait in the lobby because the music was too much for me.  I mean it was the symphony, you wouldn’t think that kind of music would be painful but it sure was.  My hearing was bionic and my startle response was off the charts, and the sounds in my house, who knew it was so talkative!

I’m sorry I can’t give you timelines, it was too long ago but it left me and it will leave you.

I can't believe that you went to the symphony while you were in withdrawal!!

Thank you. I know it will go it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, what an unpleasant side effect. Did you have tinnitus with it?

I was very sensitive to the volume of sound.  When people spoke in a normal voice it sounded like they were shouting in my ear.  I also had tinnitus. Hyperacusis faded away and was mostly gone after a year.  The tinnitus took longer to leave, maybe a year & 1/2.  I don't remember precisely. 

Brighterday, Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I figured it might take some time to resolve. Did you have to work in an office with it? I have been homebound for the last four months, but I will have to get back to work and figure out a self-care strategy if I still have it then. I never realized to what degree that life is a sonic experience 24/7. Of course, now I am freaked out about hearing health as well—the glamorous world of medical anxiety courtesy of benzo withdrawal.

I wasn't working at the time.  I wonder if if noise reducing earplugs might be helpful in a work situation.  I just did a quick search and saw earplugs  intended to reduce overstimulation for people with autism - Loop and Vibes are a couple of examples.  They have them on Amazon.

Gosh, this sensitivity hasn't been getting much better, folks. It could be disabling, and I am now more concerned about it than ever. It is painful to talk on the phone and watch TV, even at very low volumes. I can't do it. People talking at normal volumes seem to be screaming. Forget about a dog barking...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi :) I am also dealing with sound sensitivity after coming off benzo. How are you doing now? I was very distraught in the beginning. Still struggling (since October) but things are getting better… I think? Let’s keep in touch. It might be encouraging for us since we are dealing with the same thing. Also loop ear plugs are great ! I have three pairs  :angel: