Exercise induced setback. DESPERATE!

[We...]

So 10 days ago while i was on my hockey practice i noticed severe instant energy drop. I went home and went to sleep after that. Next morning when I woke up I found out that I am in total mess. I only had mental symptoms from wd until now. Now i have all those mental symptoms but intensified, and bunch of new ones I never had. Like muscle twitching,brutal fatigue,stabs in muscles,undescribable depression,doom,fear and anxiety, ankle pain...

How is this possible that I was thrown back to worse state than I ever was just with physical exercise???

PLEASE, come forward if you had anything like this. I cant live like this. I am already almost 2 years in WD and cant stand the tought that I am now even worse then 2 years ago. Dida anyone ever had setback induced like this? Please... I am desperate. I will not live anymore like this

I’ve read other members mention that serious exercise has caused them issues, its so weird because some swear by it.  I wish I knew how its possible for this to happen to you, what have you been doing since it happened, are you taking it easy?

But have anyone had exercise setback so strong that it throws them back in state even worse then acute?? Can exercise do that??

Intense exercised caused problems for me while mild to moderate was very beneficial.  When I exerted myself too much physically, mentally or emotionally I had to take some time to allow the symptoms to ease up.

I’m 27 months out and went back into acute withdrawal with massive never ending head pressure that I think was induced by some supplements. I’ve heard others say that exercise sent them back into acute withdrawal. It happens. Just try to relax and roll with it the best you can. I feel like my head is in a vice 24/7. It gets better when I relax. Hang in there.

But if exercise can throw us back in acute then the whole benzo theory is WRONG. Everyone here talks about receptors,gaba,serotonin etc. Well exercise cant upregulate or downregulate these things so quickly that we suddenly are left with no gaba etc. If exercise can break our cns again then this whole gaba,receptors etc sh.it is nothing but bullhit. Then we should abandon that theory and start thinkinh about new theories.

Also when we talk about covid setbacks, covid has nothing to do with gaba,serotonin etc... But people get setbacks from it too. So i believe our gaba and hormone systems are well regilated. There is no lack of gaba etc. Its just that we damaged cns.

Weekender,

I suffered new symptoms and set backs after an in tense work out.  I didn’t follow or so i know anything about the science of gaba receptors and other things you mentioned.  I went with what my symptoms dictated.  If i felt a set back i from exercise i adjusted my exercise.  If i felt a complete wreck i kept still and quiet.  It only made sense to me that some exercise promotes health including better sleep.  my objective was always to have the best sleep possible while time passed and my only real goal was to stop taking the meds.

I found trying to understand what was going on and spending too much time researching caused more distress than good.

You’ll be ok and you’ll get through this.

But if exercise can throw us back in acute then the whole benzo theory is WRONG. Everyone here talks about receptors,gaba,serotonin etc. Well exercise cant upregulate or downregulate these things so quickly that we suddenly are left with no gaba etc. If exercise can break our cns again then this whole gaba,receptors etc sh.it is nothing but bullhit. Then we should abandon that theory and start thinkinh about new theories.

Also when we talk about covid setbacks, covid has nothing to do with gaba,serotonin etc... But people get setbacks from it too. So i believe our gaba and hormone systems are well regilated. There is no lack of gaba etc. Its just that we damaged cns.

winner winner, chicken dinner.

It's not GABA and Glutamate and Receptors that are the problem. These have always just been theories, never proven.

My (and other people's) theory, which better explains why people have setbacks from antibiotics, probiotics, supplements, exercise, covid, is that bad withdrawal is caused by mast cell activation. Benzos are mast cell stabilizers. When you pull benzos, you get mast cell activation that release a ton of histamine and serotonin, which causes a huge amount of inflammation in the brain and body. Your body normally deals with these chemicals with antiinflammatory cortisol (hence adrenaline surges), inhibitory GABA, Nitric Oxide, etc. Some of us have slow genes for making nitric oxide and detoxing histamine, so we get the bad withdrawal symptoms that others do not. Exercise causes mast cell activation. So can all the other things I listed above that cause relapse.

Meditation and box breathing lower mast cell activation. Quercetin and  DAO enzyme lower histamine, L Citrulline boosts Nitric Oxide. See my blog in my signature for more information.

Hmmmm.... Then taking antihistamines should fix us quickly? Why doesnt it? Corticosteroids are also given for histamine storms. But ive seen all people here only get hurt by them. So whats the point?

Hmmmm.... Then taking antihistamines should fix us quickly? Why doesnt it? Corticosteroids are also given for histamine storms. But ive seen all people here only get hurt by them. So whats the point?

Antihistamines alone are not potent enough, because all they do is block 1 of 4 histamine receptors. But you will find some folks on here with minor withdrawal who say that antihistamines are how they got off benzos. Most of us with protracted have too many genetic blockages to have just an antihistamine be enough. Additionally, serotonin is probably just as, if not more, problematic than the histamine.

Not sure I understand your last question.

How do some people in wd get hurt by antihistamines then ?

This antihistamine rebound/making-things-worse problem has been reported by people with mast cell activation syndrome, too.

There are several theories: 1) Some antihistamines block the DAO enzyme, one of your body's main enzymes for breaking down histamine on its own. So you are reducing your entire body's ability to break down histamine is exchange for blocking 1 of really 3 histamine receptors. 2) when the h-1 receptor is blocked, the body for some reason down regulates its brake on histidine to histamine conversion.  This is why most mast cell activation folks advocate Vitamin C and Quercetin which lessen histamine release over substances that block receptors.

Again, theories, but people in mast cell activation unrelated to benzos report have mixed outcomes with antihistamines. Some get worse on them.

Ok, but whats the theory behind time frame of all this shit? Does it take so long for histamines to clear up or is there some other problem involved? Because we can all take DAO,citrulline etc and i can guarantee only few will see results and they will for sure not be game changing...

Ok, but whats the theory behind time frame of all this shit? Does it take so long for histamines to clear up or is there some other problem involved? Because we can all take DAO,citrulline etc and i can guarantee only few will see results and they will for sure not be game changing...

Those supplements were game changing for me, but I agree that they won't totally help everyone because the main problem is continued mast cell activation or mast cell sensitivity to becoming activated years after ceasing benzos.

Mast cells stay activated because of toxicity. Your immune system fires mast cells in response to invaders, and body toxicity is perceived as an invader. Mast cell disorders are found in people who have shitty genes for detoxification and for the manufacture of inhibitory (rather than excitatory) neuro and other chemicals. Slow SOD2 genes, Slow GSH genes, slow Nitric Oxide genes, slow methylation genes generally. The body will continue to fire mast cells if we have not fully excreted all the drugs we have been on, which are toxic, or the plastics, pollution, etc etc. that we take in. I think the time frame of recovery is tied to detoxification, which enables the mast cells to calm down permanently. Unfortunately, some people don't ever detox enough to calm the mast cells down. 

Read up on the stories of folks with mast cells disorders. It's most of the same symptoms.

Also, and I hate to quote the scientologists here, but they found that the best way to keep people from relapsing in their drug addiction was to detox the absolute bejeesus out of them in saunas and the like. Once they were detoxed, they quit having PAWS and craving for the drug. The toxicity from the drug (its gumming up the brain and causing mast cell issues) drove the need for the drug. The folks who say we don't need to detox don't seem to understand that as a species we have never faced the onslaught of toxins that we currently do, and some people have poor genetics to meet the challenge. When they biopsy breast tissue in healthy women, they find approximately 400 different carcinogenic or toxic compounds, and this is in healthy women.

Ok,thx for extensive explanation. But we cannot detox enough in today circumstances. I mean everything we eat today is polluted. All the meat is full of steroids, bottled water is full of plastic,vegetables are full of pesticides... I mean there are a lot of ppl here that ate pizzas and stuff and still recovered.

U really think this all has only to do with histamines? I tend to have a feeling its all a bit more complicated then that

Some people can detox eating just pizza, others don't have the genetics for that.

And I definitely don't think it's "just histamine," if you read my posts. There are lots of genes and neuro-chemicals involved. But we can boost and support these genes with nutrition and lifestyle; hence, we can boost detoxification and recovery.  Just eating fiber detoxes the body a large amount.

And we don't have to detox the body entirely, which is impossible as you say. We just have to detox enough to calm down the mast cells. There is research on lots of things that calm mast cells besides supplements: meditation, box breathing, FIR sauna, positivity, prayer, yoga.

I get it. Your stance on all of this is interesting. Well i guess that keeping away from junk food and increasing healthy food is definetely a support to this whole process. Exercise should be good for a healthy body but in this case you say increases histamine. So we should keep away from it? Also,i am allergic to Penicilin and I found that out hard way. I have had anaphylactic shock and ended in ER and was giver adrenaline injection to revive me. And i was explained thats what excessive histamine can do to you. And u know what, it didnt feel nothing like this withdrawal stuff. It was totally different feeling and symptoms...

Weekenduser, benzo withdrawal/injury is so complicated and I don’t think anyone really knows the full extent of all the neurochemical processes that are affected.  Yes, benzos work on GABA(a) receptors but when those get out of whack, it starts to affect all sorts of other neurotransmitters, hormones and stuff.  It completely destabilizes the nervous system. 

Really, anything that really stresses the body and brain has the ability to cause setbacks and make withdrawal worse.  Exercise stresses our system.  I cannot tolerance exercise whatsoever.  I can actually exercise no problem but the aftermath is terrible.  I don’t know if it’s an increase in adrenaline or what but my body cannot calm down after exercise.  I will get that internal vibration so badly along with horrendous head pressures and a complete sense of terror.  Some days, I have to be careful just walking in, around and out of the grocery store.  That will push it on the wrong day. 

It does sound bizarre that this happened to you two years out but it you do something that stresses your body on the wrong day, it may suck.  That being said, no, I don’t think this means you are going to suffer for another two years.  I’ve read this board a lot and people seem to recover from these type of one-off setbacks within a few weeks. 

Your whole system is very sensitive because of the benzo’s, and until your brain finishes with it’s repairs, you’re going to be vulnerable to experiencing reactions to all sorts of things, whether exercise, other medications, foods, etc. I won’t go into it, but benzo withdrawal and recovery destabilise the mast cells throughout your body, and they overreact very easily to all sorts of stimuli, hence, the reactions. Try not to overthink or myth bust. The fact is, you wouldn’t be experiencing these setbacks if it wasn’t for the temporary damage caused by the benzo’s, but you will recover. I can feel the fear and anger in your words, but feeding into it will only exacerbate your symptoms and extend their duration. More thinking is never the answer, the answer (as incredibly difficult as it is) is always less thinking, You don’t need to understand everything about the process to recover, recovery will just happen, in its own time. Be as gentle with yourself as possible at this time.

Just to add to that… once your Gabba receptors up-regulate again, the Gabba will calm your CNS once again, and this will also calm and stabilise the mast cells throughout your body and the reactions will gradually decrease and cease altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

Since i started this topic i have been declining. Apart from all that i have wrote, now i got plenty of nee symptoms which seem to come more and more daily. Few days ago I developed insomnia, couple of days before that i developed polyuria and was peeing like 20 times a day. Couple of days before that huge chemical fear and anxiety came,nothing i ever experienced before on that level...

It would be huge understatement to say i am back to square one as I have never been even remotely this bad. I never had any of this symptoms. Its been over a month of this worse then acute hell now. I just can see it suddenly all dissapear. My body is weak and i am in a horrible mental state. I am on the verge of either ending it all or taking a bunch of new meds as this is unbearable.

I cant believe that a simple exercise was able to do this to me. And what scares me even more is that i cant find anyone here had the similar situation. That makes me think i now triggered something much worse.

Horrific

I really will pass WEU.  I have exercise intolerance too and I know how disappointing it can be.  How scary when the mental symptoms arise. 

This will not continue just hang in and be really kind to your body and mind until it passes.  :smitten:

Only the other day I carried some fairly heavy pot plants from the garden to the porch and next day was thrown backwards with mental stuff.  It passed within a few days.

Hang in.