Author Topic: Anyone know who is on this Task Force?  (Read 2128 times)

[Buddie]

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Anyone know who is on this Task Force?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 01:50:24 am »
I downloaded the document linked to in that news article.

Here is the link:  https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/public-comments-and-nominations/opportunity-for-public-comment

The first document: Draft Evidence Review.  Title: Screening for Depression, Anxiety, and Suicide Risk in Adults: A Systematic Evidence Review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force

The names and organizations on the document:

Prepared for:
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
www.ahrq.gov

Prepared by:
Kaiser Permanente Evidence-based Practice Center
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research
Portland, OR

Investigators:
Elizabeth O’Connor, PhD
Michelle Henninger, PhD
Leslie A. Perdue, MPH
Erin L. Coppola, MPH
Rachel Thomas, MPH
Bradley N. Gaynes, MD, MPH

Kaiser Permanente is usually on board for any big government shovel money at big pharma/big insurance deal. So that also concerns me.

The investigator names are there. I'll try to look into them tomorrow. Must try to sleep now.

Unless the guidelines for prescribing benzodiazepines are radically changed, I think screening a good chunk of the population for anxiety will invariably result in more people being handed scripts for benzos and other psych drugs. It surely must.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 01:59:08 am »
These names may also be of interest:

The authors gratefully acknowledge the following individuals for their contributions to this project: Iris Mabry-Hernandez, MD, MPH, and Tina Fan, MD, MPH, at AHRQ; current and former members of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force who contributed to topic deliberations; Ramin Mojtabai, MD, PhD, MPH, Pim Cuijpers, PhD, Tiffany A. Moore Simas, MD, MPH, FACOG; Raquel Halfond, PhD, Bobbi Jo Yarborough, PsyD, who provided expert review of the draft report; Rebecca DelCarmen-Wiggins, PhD, Regine Douthard, MD, MPH, Shilpa H. Amin, MD, MJ, CAQ, FAAFP, Damiya E. Whitaker, PsyD, MA, and Elena Gorodetsky, MD, PhD, with the National Institutes of Health Office of Research on Women's Health, Jackie Wallace MD, MPH, with the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Erin M. Abramsohn, DrPH, MPH, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for providing federal partner review of the draft report; Melinda Davies, MAIS, and Jill Pope, BA, at the Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research for technical and editorial assistance.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 02:42:39 am »
Seeing this in the NYTimes today, I came here to post the same concerns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/20/health/anxiety-screening-recommendation.html

Would this result in an increase in benzo prescriptions?

I would hope not, but it seems likely.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 03:15:29 am »
Thank you for posting the link for US Preventive Services comments. 
I wrote:

"Screening for anxiety would do more harm than good, as it would likely result in increased, unnecessary prescribing of benzodiazepines.  There are few tools the medical community have to treat anxiety.  Talk therapy is not available to many patients through their insurance coverage.  The quick, easy and often only other option covered by insurance is psychopharmaceuticals, of which benzodiazepines predominate.  Benzos are rarely sufficient or effective in the short run of "safe" usage, should not be taken on an "as needed" basis and can cause great anguish if used regularly longterm.  Both doctors and the public are largely unaware of the risks.  Do not open this Pandora's Box, creating more misery for more people."

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 03:52:50 pm »
Seeing this in the NYTimes today, I came here to post the same concerns:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/20/health/anxiety-screening-recommendation.html

Would this result in an increase in benzo prescriptions?

I would hope not, but it seems likely.

[...]

Of course it will. If you screen people randomly you will pick up cases of anxiety that were previously undetected. Some percentage of those will invariably end up with benzodiazepine prescriptions. Others will end up with prescriptions for SSRIs, SNRIs, antipsychotics, etc. etc.

Given that:

1.) Benzos are not a long term solution for anxiety.
2.) Recent evidence shows that SSRIs, SNRIs very likely do not work and they have their own issues with PSSD, withdrawal syndromes, etc.
3.) Antipsychotics frequently have even worse side effects (e.g. tardive dyskinesia, etc.) than SSRIs/SNRIs.

I really question the wisdom of casting a broad net trying to find previously undetected cases of anxiety. You may well end up doing more harm than good.

The fact is, we really aren't very good at treating anxiety pharmacologically.  And drugs are how these new found cases will be treated. No one wants to invest the time and money on things that might actually help (CBT, talk therapy, physical exercise, etc) so all these new cases will have pills thrown at them.  That is what modern psychiatrists and GPs do - they write prescriptions.

In my opinion, the harm done will very likely outweigh the good. In many cases you are probably better off living with your anxiety than gobbling down pills that aren't a solution and can often times result in you being worse off than when you started.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 01:16:42 am »
I agree with everything you say, including SSRIs and SNRIs.  Doctors would be screening .....actually indirectly suggesting, ergo, promoting treatment.....for something there is no safe and effective treatment for.  It's a farce, nothing more than a great big wet kiss for Big Pharma. 

Is there a benzo awareness org that's addressing this?  Maybe I could help beyond my comment in some way.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 01:32:15 am »
https://uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/draft-recommendation/anxiety-adults-screening

There is a public comment section open until October 17th. I hope benzoinfo.com puts out a call for public comment. Everyone here, please see this as a push to prescribe, as stated on their website, and make a public comment.

“Treatment or Interventions

Treatment for anxiety disorders can include psychotherapy (e.g., cognitive behavioral, interpsonal, family, and acceptance and commitment therapy) and pharmacotherapy (e.g., antidepressants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, anticonvulsant medications, or benzodiazepines). Anxiety treatment may also include relaxation and desensitization therapies. Transdiagnostic treatment approaches have also been developed for use with patients who have anxiety, depression, or both conditions because of the overlap between depression and anxiety.”

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 01:53:59 am »
Yes, thank you!  The link works.  I used it to submit the comment above.  I am also interested in finding out the name of an advocacy/awareness type org.  I fully understand if BB does not get into that kind of work.  The moderators and others who donate their time here have their hands full as it is.  I'm continually in awe of their kindness, patience, generosity and expertise!  Just wondering if another org is involved in the political end.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 02:09:01 am »
Oops, sorry to be redundant. I didn’t scroll down through the whole thread.

Mad In America is all that comes to mind, but not sure how much advocacy work they do as opposed to awareness. Benzo Information Coalition was what I was referring to. I’ve seen them put out calls to action before.