how do I keep depression and anxiety at bay while in withdrawal?

[ke...]

Hi,

I have yet to begin my taper, but, I've been active on here for a few months.

Let me explain my dilemma:

From my signature, I am currently on .5 mg of generic Klonopin (clonazepam) and have been for over three and a half years at that dose. 

I've been on and off so many other psych meds the past few months that most of the time, I go from being extremely irritable, to swearing at the littlest things, to crying. 

My psychiatrist wanted to put me on another antipsychotic (mood stabilizer) for the agitation, but, I wasn't willing to go along with it, because I have a terrible time with metabolic syndrome. 

I know Dr. Ashton did not endorse supplements; I think she mentions in the manual that they are a waste of money. 

Besides physical activity, better eating, and trying to sleep well, does anyone have any suggestions to provide calmness? It feels as if my nerves are jacked up a lot during the day. 

Thanks,

kestrel28

• 1 month later...
I'm glad you are looking into alternatives to help stabilize your mood rather than jumping to other medications or supplements - very wise of you kestrel28.  You've already listed some excellent things that help with mood and walking outdoors is one of my mainstays.  Have you tried journaling?  I find that to be so helpful in providing clarity about any issues I am dealing with.  I used distraction A LOT during withdrawl - easy Netflix shows, crochet, walking, cooking - anything that was easy but kept my mind from wandering into dark places.  Getting some healthy practices in place will be in your favor when you begin your taper.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kate.

Trying my best with distraction, but the worst is the early morning blues where I feel awful.  My psychologist tells me to get up out of bed and do something when that happens. 

[8f...]

My mornings are also terrifying. 1 thing I practice is “Mindfulness “. Staying simply in the moment-not being pulled into the chaos of the past of the unknown future. Telling myself, Just this moment, just this breath….

Breathing exercises and using guided meditation (I use the Insight Timer app) when in the midst of a panic attack are also enormously calming.

You’re not alone 🙏

Thanks, sugar 1. 

My depression has gotten so bad that I am so confused about reinstating a low dose of Prozac (10 mg).

I have come off Prozac and other ssris this year without micro tapering.  Recently, I stopped taking 10 mg Prozac without tapering, September 9th… and after 4-5 weeks in October, my irritability and depression came back, and it’s hard to know the depression and anxiety is from ssri withdrawal, or benzo tolerance.  I just took my first dose of Prozac 10 mg this afternoon and already I feel jittery.  Is it a mistake for me to reinstate a medication multiple times?  Please help.  :-[

[8f...]

Only you can answer that question, I’m afraid.

I, too, went off other meds these past 16+ months and at extremely bad times have considered going back on Prozac. For me, I just think to self: Really? Then you’ll have to go off that AGAIN too! It’s so discouraging when all you want is some relief. Just for a day-right?

When I 1st went off Clonazapam I went on 3 other meds, detoxed those 2 months later. Then a few months later tried 2 others. Detoxed. Then reinstated Clonazapam. For me it was a viscous cycle and I jumped October 1-for good.

It’s grueling. Terrifying. Exhausting. But I believe, I just have to, that life is going to be SOO much better then I can even imagine when I get to the other side. I believe it with every ounce of my being! THAT, right there, is what is going to get me through this! 🙏🙏🙏

Thanks for your insight, sugar1. 

Perhaps I should not go through this once again with the ssris.  I’ve been on so many psychotropics that I need my brain to heal.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, sugar 1. 

My depression has gotten so bad that I am so confused about reinstating a low dose of Prozac (10 mg).

I have come off Prozac and other ssris this year without micro tapering.  Recently, I stopped taking 10 mg Prozac without tapering, September 9th… and after 4-5 weeks in October, my irritability and depression came back, and it’s hard to know the depression and anxiety is from ssri withdrawal, or benzo tolerance.  I just took my first dose of Prozac 10 mg this afternoon and already I feel jittery.  Is it a mistake for me to reinstate a medication multiple times?  Please help.  :-[

Maybe try a different one. SSRI's can feel yucky. The old fashioned tricyclics are effective and mellowing. Ask your doc!!!

Cold showers have helped me a lot with anxiety and depression. Specially in the morning or at night when I have difficult time to sleep. Cold therapy increases the feel good chemicals in your brain and last for a long time. If you are very sensitive to cold you can start slow opening the right faucet for a few second at the end of the shower.

Is not a magic pill but together with other stuff mentioned above will help.

Mice

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17993252/