Ketamine

[On...]

Has anyone here used Ketamine and had success?

I think I am going to try it for my depression.

Thank you.

There are lots of threads about Ketamine so if you don't get many replies I'd use this search tool, you may find some good information.  I know there is a lot of interest in this for depression lately, even in conventional medicine with many studies being conducted.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

Thanks Pamster.

I did use the search function and read through a lot of posts and threads but they were mostly if not all from 8 years or so ago.

I was reading aome articles, posts and looked at some youtube videos. So many things out there to affect the brain.....it is kind of overwhelming. I wish I had never messed with my brain with any pills ever which is a pretty typical feeling.

I have used it and I think it's amazing. Very effective. Best of all, no side effects.

Thanks for the response!

Did you have an infusion? Or the spray or pills?

I have used it and I think it's amazing. Very effective. Best of all, no side effects.

Thanks for the response!

I used the infusions. My infusions lasted about 45-50 minutes with a 10 minute or so comedown. They offer longer infusions for very resistant depression as well. I just saw that esketamine (nasal spray) is being offered through the clinic but I don't know enough about it yet. I just don't like the idea of having to use something every day, which reminds me too much of what got me onto this website...daily meds. I can use ketamine infusions whenever I feel the need. I haven't heard of ketamine pills, but I am not surprised if they made them. Its all about finding out what works for you. It is nice to have options!

Thanks for the response!

I used the infusions. My infusions lasted about 45-50 minutes with a 10 minute or so comedown. They offer longer infusions for very resistant depression as well. I just saw that esketamine (nasal spray) is being offered through the clinic but I don't know enough about it yet. I just don't like the idea of having to use something every day, which reminds me too much of what got me onto this website...daily meds. I can use ketamine infusions whenever I feel the need. I haven't heard of ketamine pills, but I am not surprised if they made them. Its all about finding out what works for you. It is nice to have options!

Interesting.

I haven't really tried any anti-depressant medicines except for Effexor long ago. I did not like it at all.

This website has truly frightened me from pretty much all pills.

I'm sorry we've frightened you away from pills, I used Prozac after two family losses in a short amount of time and found it very helpful.  I don't suffer with chronic depression but wanted to let you know that short term, at least for me was successful. 

I'm sorry we've frightened you away from pills, I used Prozac after two family losses in a short amount of time and found it very helpful.  I don't suffer with chronic depression but wanted to let you know that short term, at least for me was successful.

Thank.you.

Feeling lost sitting out in the Texas heat.

What is ketamine. I've heard about it, but not sure how it works.  I hate taking antidepressants.

Can you get addicted to it?

How long do the effects last and what does each infusion cost you if you don't mind me asking?

At first, they usually space you a month between treatments and they can cost about $375-600 depending on the clinic. I pay $400 per treatment and I go months now between treatments...like only when I really need it (ego 6 months or more between now). Some clinics offer discounts or help. Also they offer financing. It is not a cheap endeavor by any means...but for those of us that it helps, it has been worth it.

At the beginning, the clinic usually wants to do "stabilizing" treatments which include about 4 infusions scheduled a day apart to boost your mood up, and then see you a few weeks after to keep you lifted. After that, they recommend to come once a month to keep the your mods lifted but also to keep their revenue flowing because they are mostly an all-cash business. They may tell you this is the best for you, and give you the hard sell, but it really is up to you to come when you feel like it. I started doing the treatments in 2014 and I credit them with saving my life. It allowed me a new way of dealing with depression because the drugs weren't working....I didn't know anything then. I didn't know how to get off the drugs properly, but the ketamine helped through the tough stuff.

At first, they usually space you a month between treatments and they can cost about $375-600 depending on the clinic. I pay $400 per treatment and I go months now between treatments...like only when I really need it (ego 6 months or more between now). Some clinics offer discounts or help. Also they offer financing. It is not a cheap endeavor by any means...but for those of us that it helps, it has been worth it.

At the beginning, the clinic usually wants to do "stabilizing" treatments which include about 4 infusions scheduled a day apart to boost your mood up, and then see you a few weeks after to keep you lifted. After that, they recommend to come once a month to keep the your mods lifted but also to keep their revenue flowing because they are mostly an all-cash business. They may tell you this is the best for you, and give you the hard sell, but it really is up to you to come when you feel like it. I started doing the treatments in 2014 and I credit them with saving my life. It allowed me a new way of dealing with depression because the drugs weren't working....I didn't know anything then. I didn't know how to get off the drugs properly, but the ketamine helped through the tough stuff.

Hi

Did you mean that the ketamine helped your wd from tapering off the ADs you were on?

Joeb

Hi

Did you mean that the ketamine helped your wd from tapering off the ADs you were on?

Joeb

Yes, absolutely. Ketamine helped me get off the anti-depressants. It lifted my depression, like the opening of a dark veil. It allowed me to see another way to treat my depression... and once the dark veil was lifted I knew I had to do everything different. Get off the drugs and try to live as holistically as possible. However, my rapid taper off the benzodiazepine (the last drug I tapered) was so quick, horrific and damaging that when I got a ketamine treatment (during benzo withdrawal) I felt nothing. It didn't work for me then due to the significant brain injury I sustained from benzo withdrawal. But now that I am more years out in the recovery from benzo withdrawal, it is helpful again, but its not quite the same as before benzo withdrawal. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but man, the benzo withdrawal really screwed everything up.

Tator Tot

I think I will ask my doctor about it.

My antidepressant doesn't work for me.  I've been on many.  None have helped.  They only make things worse.

So insurance won't pay for it?

Not sure I can afford to pay if it's not covered.

It can be expensive, but sometimes these clinics offer assistance programs or other members chip in to help other members. Insurance may cover esketamine which is the nasal spray, but I’m not sure if it is as effective as the intravenous treatments. Ketamine has proven to be very helpful for medication-resistant depression.

I read some negative reports on BB for ketamine treatment taken for benzo WD depression.

TT, does it affect anxiety - ketamine treatment?

I'm so scared to try anything. I think everything is a gamble.

Hi Nony, ketamine has a very good success rate at about 80% reporting effectiveness which is unheard of compared to anti-depressants, etc. The treatment length varies from 1 hour to 4 hours depending on what you want to do, or how severe the depression is. I fond it incredibly helpful while going off anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. But my withdrawal from the benzo has been so severe on my brain, that I didn't feel relief from ketamine during post-benzo period.  Maybe that was what people reported- that it wasn't working on their neurotransmitters as effectively due to benzo damage.

I never noticed that it affected my anxiety. During treatment you are relaxed, but it does cause a dissociative and hallucinatory affect. I found it relaxing...I went with the flow and looked forward to what colorful hallucinations I would "see." You are usually accompanied by a nurse/medic who keeps track of your vital signs and you can look at TV if you want. Some people bring headphones and listen to music while they are receiving treatment. I usually put an ocean scene on YouTube and listen to soft waves on a beach.

Some people are intimidated by the idea of "seeing things" but if you were to ever feel uncomfortable or frightened at any time, they immediately stop the treatment and flush the IV and you are back to reality.

TaterTot, the rating you report is high and good but it isn't specifically for depression from benzos. Like you said, that is a different animal altogether.

That's why I'm concerned. I want to hear from people who've done ketamine specifically for depression from benzos. And did it affect them negatively. I've read reports on BB to that effect. I think the benzo depression is different than other kinds of depression.

I'm sure insurance won't pay for it. How much does it cost?

I don't think my psych doctor would approve of it.  But, I think I might ask him about it.

Do you have to be tapered off all your psych meds before you do it?

No, you don’t have to be off your meds to do it. The meds may even enhance the effect.

My sessions cost 400. And if you have to do multiple sessions in a row, it certainly can get up there.