Author Topic: Ketamine  (Read 1552 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Ketamine
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2022, 11:51:46 pm »
Hi [...], ketamine has a very good success rate at about 80% reporting effectiveness which is unheard of compared to anti-depressants, etc. The treatment length varies from 1 hour to 4 hours depending on what you want to do, or how severe the depression is. I fond it incredibly helpful while going off anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. But my withdrawal from the benzo has been so severe on my brain, that I didn't feel relief from ketamine during post-benzo period.  Maybe that was what people reported- that it wasn't working on their neurotransmitters as effectively due to benzo damage.

I never noticed that it affected my anxiety. During treatment you are relaxed, but it does cause a dissociative and hallucinatory affect. I found it relaxing...I went with the flow and looked forward to what colorful hallucinations I would "see." You are usually accompanied by a nurse/medic who keeps track of your vital signs and you can look at TV if you want. Some people bring headphones and listen to music while they are receiving treatment. I usually put an ocean scene on YouTube and listen to soft waves on a beach.

Some people are intimidated by the idea of "seeing things" but if you were to ever feel uncomfortable or frightened at any time, they immediately stop the treatment and flush the IV and you are back to reality.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 01:43:30 am »
[...], the rating you report is high and good but it isn't specifically for depression from benzos. Like you said, that is a different animal altogether.
That's why I'm concerned. I want to hear from people who've done ketamine specifically for depression from benzos. And did it affect them negatively. I've read reports on BB to that effect. I think the benzo depression is different than other kinds of depression.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2022, 02:21:26 pm »
I'm sure insurance won't pay for it. How much does it cost?

I don't think my psych doctor would approve of it.  But, I think I might ask him about it.

Do you have to be tapered off all your psych meds before you do it?

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 12:27:36 pm »
No, you donít have to be off your meds to do it. The meds may even enhance the effect.
My sessions cost 400. And if you have to do multiple sessions in a row, it certainly can get up there.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2022, 10:04:54 pm »
Wow! that's a lot of $$$$

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2022, 01:02:26 am »
I'm sorry we've frightened you away from pills, I used Prozac after two family losses in a short amount of time and found it very helpful.  I don't suffer with chronic depression but wanted to let you know that short term, at least for me was successful.
[...] was it hard to get off the Prozac? What dose were you on? Iím just asking because my psych wants to put me on it to go off the Welbutrin and Remeron
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2022, 01:32:19 am »
I'm sorry we've frightened you away from pills, I used Prozac after two family losses in a short amount of time and found it very helpful.  I don't suffer with chronic depression but wanted to let you know that short term, at least for me was successful.
[...] was it hard to get off the Prozac? What dose were you on? Iím just asking because my psych wants to put me on it to go off the Welbutrin and Remeron
[...]

Hi [...],

With me, its always a different story.  Yes, I was on Prozac, I believe it was 20 mgs but the problem was I stayed on it for far longer than I needed to.  I convinced myself I needed it because my mother was schizophrenic and said it was my insurance against the illness, no, it was laziness on my part.  Over the years I was switched to Lexepro ( I don't remember why) and continued on that until 14 months after my cold turkey from Klonopin.  One night I quit both Ambien and Lexepro cold turkey and shortly after that I declared myself fully healed from my Klonopin cold turkey.

I wasn't aware of any withdrawal symptoms from either the Ambien or the Lexepro, all I knew was that I felt wonderful, I was finally free of the horrible symptoms I'd been dealing with for 14 months.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, as I said, the way I've done things is not recommended but for me it worked.  Please don't follow in my footsteps, I've been extremely lucky.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2022, 02:09:28 am »
Thanks Pamsters I understand
Appreciate the detailed explanation
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 11:55:38 am »
I tried it several yrs ago. Was an interesting trip but didn't do anything to lift the depression. Lasted about 45 min then after about an hour I felt drained and sort of flu like symptoms. But everybody's different. Was very expensive, don't think any insurance covers it at this point.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 11:11:11 am »
I have used it and I think it's amazing. Very effective. Best of all, no side effects.

Did you use IV ketamine before you were off all of those medications or during tapering? Iím still on gabapentin that I want to get off of and lamictal. Wondering if I need to wait until Iím off everything to try.