Author Topic: Ketamine  (Read 1551 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Ketamine
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 02:51:04 pm »
What is ketamine. I've heard about it, but not sure how it works.  I hate taking antidepressants.
Can you get addicted to it?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 04:25:44 pm »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 10:14:21 pm »
I have used it and I think it's amazing. Very effective. Best of all, no side effects.

How long do the effects last and what does each infusion cost you if you don't mind me asking?

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 03:30:04 am »
At first, they usually space you a month between treatments and they can cost about $375-600 depending on the clinic. I pay $400 per treatment and I go months now between treatments...like only when I really need it (ego 6 months or more between now). Some clinics offer discounts or help. Also they offer financing. It is not a cheap endeavor by any means...but for those of us that it helps, it has been worth it.

At the beginning, the clinic usually wants to do "stabilizing" treatments which include about 4 infusions scheduled a day apart to boost your mood up, and then see you a few weeks after to keep you lifted. After that, they recommend to come once a month to keep the your mods lifted but also to keep their revenue flowing because they are mostly an all-cash business. They may tell you this is the best for you, and give you the hard sell, but it really is up to you to come when you feel like it. I started doing the treatments in 2014 and I credit them with saving my life. It allowed me a new way of dealing with depression because the drugs weren't working....I didn't know anything then. I didn't know how to get off the drugs properly, but the ketamine helped through the tough stuff.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 04:36:22 am »
At first, they usually space you a month between treatments and they can cost about $375-600 depending on the clinic. I pay $400 per treatment and I go months now between treatments...like only when I really need it (ego 6 months or more between now). Some clinics offer discounts or help. Also they offer financing. It is not a cheap endeavor by any means...but for those of us that it helps, it has been worth it.

At the beginning, the clinic usually wants to do "stabilizing" treatments which include about 4 infusions scheduled a day apart to boost your mood up, and then see you a few weeks after to keep you lifted. After that, they recommend to come once a month to keep the your mods lifted but also to keep their revenue flowing because they are mostly an all-cash business. They may tell you this is the best for you, and give you the hard sell, but it really is up to you to come when you feel like it. I started doing the treatments in 2014 and I credit them with saving my life. It allowed me a new way of dealing with depression because the drugs weren't working....I didn't know anything then. I didn't know how to get off the drugs properly, but the ketamine helped through the tough stuff.
Hi
Did you mean that the ketamine helped your wd from tapering off the ADs you were on?
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 09:16:01 pm »

Hi
Did you mean that the ketamine helped your wd from tapering off the ADs you were on?
[...]

Yes, absolutely. Ketamine helped me get off the anti-depressants. It lifted my depression, like the opening of a dark veil. It allowed me to see another way to treat my depression... and once the dark veil was lifted I knew I had to do everything different. Get off the drugs and try to live as holistically as possible. However, my rapid taper off the benzodiazepine (the last drug I tapered) was so quick, horrific and damaging that when I got a ketamine treatment (during benzo withdrawal) I felt nothing. It didn't work for me then due to the significant brain injury I sustained from benzo withdrawal. But now that I am more years out in the recovery from benzo withdrawal, it is helpful again, but its not quite the same as before benzo withdrawal. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but man, the benzo withdrawal really screwed everything up.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 12:09:11 pm »
Tator Tot

I think I will ask my doctor about it.

My antidepressant doesn't work for me.  I've been on many.  None have helped.  They only make things worse.

So insurance won't pay for it?

Not sure I can afford to pay if it's not covered.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 06:12:28 am »
It can be expensive, but sometimes these clinics offer assistance programs or other members chip in to help other members. Insurance may cover esketamine which is the nasal spray, but Iím not sure if it is as effective as the intravenous treatments. Ketamine has proven to be very helpful for medication-resistant depression.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 05:53:45 pm »
I will have to check into this. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2022, 10:55:43 pm »
I read some negative reports on BB for ketamine treatment taken for benzo WD depression.

TT, does it affect anxiety - ketamine treatment?

I'm so scared to try anything. I think everything is a gamble.