Sudden Intense Depression

[Ci...]

Hi all - my taper has been going well.  I switched to a compounded liquid this week and have not appeared to have any impact - all seems fine.  Except suddenly, I am terribly depressed. I have been horribly depressed for years, but it had lifted quite a while ago.  Nothing has really changed to push me over the edge.  I am on an SSRI and have been for about 7-8 months (was taken off of the last one due to reactions to it.)

Question: is this sudden onset major depression common? Does it follow the same pattern or does it come and go as a symptom of benzo withdrawal?

I have been so positive about this - even through a lot of bad, bad crap. I was just not expecting to be depressed out of nowhere with no direct cause.

Your thought welcome…

butterfly 🦋

The only thing that stands out to me is your switch to the compounded liquid and this can't be discounted just because you haven't noticed any outward signs, this depression had to come from somewhere.  I believe its a symptom and it will ease for you, this is what happens when we make a change, a reduction or when we're newly benzo free, we get new symptoms. 

Talk to it Butterfly, tell this new symptom its not real, its simply an annoying symptom that will wax and wane and disappear like every symptom does, don't give it power over you.

I too have deep sad feelings, or lack of possitive feelings from time to time due this benzotaper.

It may have been releated to my former Paroxetine taper, but I think the constant stress due benzotapering is the key factor.

At least I have seen a pattern after a drop in dose, first extreme stress/panic, second pure lingering anxiety, calmer but depressed/sad.

Talk to it Butterfly, tell this new symptom its not real, its simply an annoying symptom that will wax and wane and disappear like every symptom does, don't give it power over you.

I like this suggestion - never tried it before and I think it might help!  I will do it!

Thanks, Pamster!

Butterfly 🦋

• 1 month later...
I don't think it's so uncommon for it to come up, out of nowhere, same as anxiety. Can't usually trace it back to cause(s). I should have answers because I'm always depressed, varies in intensity but same in quality. I've had MDD most of my life. By the time you read this, your depression will likely be gone and forgotten. My only advice would be avoid stress.

Yes, it seems to have no pattern. For me, I went a month of feelign good and happy, only a tiny bit anxious. Then they both returned with a vengeance and have been windows and waves since. When the windows lift I'm happy and free spirited. When not, I'm anxious and depressed, very doom and gloom.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly the same here, allthough they seem to lessen in intensity during my taper.

Ive been in hell serveral times though.

Keep faith.

• 1 month later...

My depression is heavily related to my financial concerns. When things are better for me financially, I am much less depressed. I wake up every morning with a cortisol rush and anxiety and depression. I always feel much better as the day goes on. I feel more optimistic. I am starting a new job in a couple months, and I hope it improves my finances and depression.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

HM