Will taper help extreme depression?

[9c...]

[9c...]

I am at .5 mg k in the early afternoon and .5 k again in later afternoon.I am on Vyvanse. I have been told to cease this (Vyvanse) but the confusion and fog -I do not think I could function. It is a LT goal. I am more concerned with the depression

( Vyvanse at least helps me not endure as much for a few hours in the a.m  as I can accomplish a few things)

In reading the posts I have seen a few times people state their symptoms were worse before they tapered more. Since I am so very miserable now ( crying, sleeping, not sleeping, cold/detached-just feeling like I am done with life--could a ten percent taper of k and beginning my taper help with depressive thoughts/suicidal feelings ( no plan/ no intent)?  Perhaps this should be in the withdrawal or taper section, but I honestly feel like I belong in most topics and I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed.

I am willing to do anything ( that I can afford). Fish oil? Raw food diet? exercise? move to a sunny location? I am desperate to stay alive and not drink again or return to everything that earned my place here.

Its difficult to say if beginning your taper will help you feel better but it looks to me as if you're at the point where you need to do something.  Indecision can be very stressful so I feel it would help you to make one, then make a plan and carry it out.  Sometimes just doing one small act can help us feel a sense of accomplishment and we need that to feel worthwhile. 

Supplements and diets aren't going to get you where you need to be but ridding yourself of this drug will, at least in my opinion so I hope you can find the strength to take back your life by making a decision to do just that.

I don't know who told you to cease the Vyvanse, but this is something you and your Dr should decide.

Tapering what? It looks pretty complicated from your signature. If you start tapering, it can make you feel worse before you start to get better. It can give you a sense of purpose, that's what it did for me, but I really really believed in getting off meds as the path to recovery. I was certain and I never wavered from my belief that even though medical professionals arrogantly suggested otherwise. You have a lot more meds to consider. I don't know if it would be the same for you as me.

I also wouldn't want to say what to taper first. I understand that Vyvanse is a stimulating medication, so withdrawing from a benzo might not be good while you're on that because excess stimulation is a problem with benzo withdrawal. I understand that Vyvanse is a prodrug for amphetamine, correct me if I am wrong. I believe it's quite common to become depressed when tolerant to stimulants such as amphetamines. I would not recommend higher but to come off might make things worse for a while.

My stance is that it's abuse to put somebody on such a cocktail of substances. I think you're right to question what's happened. I think you could do worse than slowly taper the stimulant (Vyvanse) first. Like I said, it could make things worse even if you go slow but if you can handle it knowing that it'll get better and that it's a step towards getting back to something normal.

[9c...]

I am, as of now, only on K & Vyvanse.

The Vyvanse will be tapered. I want to start the Benzo taper in a few weeks at 2.5 %. I will clean up the signature.

I have C/T Vyvanse before and well...I really do not know how or why or what happened as i was abusing alcohol for 3 years. My plan is to begin a slow taper of K and gradually add in the Vyvanse taper, adjust as necessary according to symptoms without increasing anything. I feel it's a fine line right now. I am not overthinking this but I am serious and dedicated and hoping to function enough while I slowly do this as I have a family to care for with no help.

Plan includes nutrition as this helped me immensely in the past though I was not intentional. I just want to be healthy and get the poisons out & reality is I must take my time.

Oh, not quite as complicated as I though. I'm glad about that. I really do think it's a good idea to get rid of the stimulant first. It just isn't a good mix, benzo withdrawal with a stimulant could make issues with psychosis. It's not good for you. You might get more opinions about this on survivingantidepressants.org, they seem to have people more knowledgeable about polydrugging. I totally get the not overthinking, sometimes you just need to get on with things, etc. But sometimes it pays to be smart. You could taper the Vyvanse quicker than a benzo, perhaps over a month or two, stabilize and then start tapering the benzo. Quitting a stimulant sucks but it might be the cause of the depression, so when you get off it and heal, you might improve.

I like your endeavour and I think you have got your head in the right place. I believe in you because I think you believe in yourself. Good luck, whatever way you go. You will figure it out, I am sure.

[9c...]

Thank you. I will check out the site you mentioned. I also have some assistance with a couple I met through mad in america when I worked.

I initially got put on Adderall XR when I was in speech pathology.

I then got put on Vyvanse with a "booster" of Adderall IR in the afternoon. I quit that booster last early spring-after weaning down from 15 mg to 10 to 5 then pieces. I immediately felt better. I like the accomplishments too. Juicing and healthy eating help me with depression more than anything. I get through the extreme emotions and I have to anchor myself to that knowledge that it passes. Going through more hell is better than staying in hell with the occasional very brief respite. I have to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I felt like you when I was tapering Valium for a couple of months, so I decided to jump from 2 mg and 2 days after I felt so much better. Tapering made me sooo depressed.

I am at .5 mg k in the early afternoon and .5 k again in later afternoon.I am on Vyvanse. I have been told to cease this (Vyvanse) but the confusion and fog -I do not think I could function. It is a LT goal. I am more concerned with the depression

( Vyvanse at least helps me not endure as much for a few hours in the a.m  as I can accomplish a few things)

In reading the posts I have seen a few times people state their symptoms were worse before they tapered more. Since I am so very miserable now ( crying, sleeping, not sleeping, cold/detached-just feeling like I am done with life--could a ten percent taper of k and beginning my taper help with depressive thoughts/suicidal feelings ( no plan/ no intent)?  Perhaps this should be in the withdrawal or taper section, but I honestly feel like I belong in most topics and I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed.

I am willing to do anything ( that I can afford). Fish oil? Raw food diet? exercise? move to a sunny location? I am desperate to stay alive and not drink again or return to everything that earned my place here.