5 Years Free and Still Walking the Path to the Sea

[Af...]

Dear Buddies,

It's been a loong time and most of your screen names are unfamiliar to me now. :(

But I still know what you're going through; that (unfortunately) doesn't change.

I returned today to post this audio story in the Coping: Philosophical Approaches section of the forum.

Still doing well and hoping to be supportive  :smitten:

Here's the link to my post:

8yrs7mosFree remembering what BB meant to me

czH2ORp.png 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Af...]

• [ge...]

• [Ca...]

• [An...]

Thank you so much! I just read your original post on this thread and it's truly beautiful and enlightening.  :smitten::thumbsup:

HelenHMB :smitten: My pleasure. And congratulations on your freedom.

Thank you for your beautiful and inspiring story.

Currently, I'm struggling with Alprazolam and have been on 7 years. My "story" is on my profile somewhere here. Basically, I've been wanting off for a long time and have found every excuse not get started. The philosophical theme you have to your journey is beautiful and again, I'm going to pick myself up and get moving.

Thank you.

Thank you for your beautiful and inspiring story.

Currently, I'm struggling with Alprazolam and have been on 7 years. My "story" is on my profile somewhere here. Basically, I've been wanting off for a long time and have found every excuse not get started. The philosophical theme you have to your journey is beautiful and again, I'm going to pick myself up and get moving.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Thank you.

AI52 :smitten: Thank you for listening to my recording. Sometimes our ‘excuses’ for not doing things are actually very good reasons. Or at least they were good reasons once upon a time. And then those reasons no longer serve the same purpose. I see from your signature that you took care of your Mom who had dementia for many years—that’s HARD work takes a lot out you physically, emotionally and spiritually. I imagine you’ve needed some time to find yourself again.

You’re not alone in your hesitation.

I waited a couple of years to start my taper because I wanted my son to be in school, and not be with me all day long. But then, even after he started school, I delayed some more. I was scared and it took me two more years—until he was in third grade—to be ready to commit to the process. And I felt fully committed and determined when I finally started.

So don’t beat yourself up too much for being indecisive. This is a big decision and you’ll know when you’re ready in your heart. There’s no right time, there’s only the right time FOR YOU.  I wish you peace and clarity  :smitten:

Was there a point when you experienced significant improvements? I’m still really bad at over 3.5 years off. Congratulations and continued success.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Was there a point when you experienced significant improvements? I’m still really bad at over 3.5 years off. Congratulations and continued success.

Jim

Hi genethog. I have co-conditions that make it hard to compare my progress (or lack thereof) with others. I have Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, and it causes some recurring symptoms similar to benzo withdrawal. I see you have a co-condition too. A vestibular disorder. You might be interested in a docuseries called Life Rebalanced that interviews people with vestibular conditions. It was filmed and produced by a friend  of mine. Her company is called Unfixed Media. Here’s a link to her home page. Scroll down to the project called “Life Rebalanced” https://unfixedmedia.com/.  I believe they have ongoing support groups and you might find others with VD who are also trying to navigate their way to benzo freedom. Hang in there :smitten: Aft.

Thank you for your response. What type of treatment do you do for the Chronic Inflammatory issue?

Jim

I’m in the final phase of a 20-month protocol. I’m currently only using one compounded medication called vasoactive intestinal peptide. CIRS is diagnosed by a transcriptomic/genetic test called GENIE. Here’s a link if you’re interested, although it has more symptoms in common with ME/CFS than it does with Vestibular disorders. https://www.progenedx.com/how-does-this-help

My dizziness was one of the only things that cleared up. I’m left with all of these terrible mental symptoms. I’ll look into this.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!!! That was so beautiful!!!! Hives me so much hope!!!! ❤

You’re very welcome, Dehytq2 :smitten: I see from your signature that we have much in common—both polydrugged and log term use. Congratulations on being just over one year free, although I’m sure at times it doesn’t feel like time to celebrate, yet. Hold on to your milestones of progress, they will give you strength to stay the course. Just to have come this far is a miracle; be kind to yourself, you’re stronger than you know. :smitten: