Depression affected by menstrual cycle in women ?

[Fa...]

Everyone,

I just wondered if any women have noticed a link between the intensity of the depression ,and their period cycle.As depression has been my worst symptom,a Mental Health Worker suggested I keep a note of how bad the depression is each day,and I've noticed it goes really horrendously bad around period time.I know some women  get very low at this time regardless of withdrawal, but I was never one of those people,so I'm just  wondering am I imagining this ?,is it just a coincidence? or have others experienced it during withdrawal.

And if this started with withdrawal ,will it go after recovery? I've got visions of being bedridden with despair for a week every month for years on end !

Ta x

Hi Fairport.

My pms has always made me down and tearful. My w/d makes me down and tearful. So it stands to reason that double trouble occurs! In other words, I know exactly how you feel. It is very difficult. Perhaps it will improve as I cut down on my diazepam. I do hope so. I also hope you feel better soon. Gilly x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fairport,

I am on my period and have cried for two days now, even teared up at work today (for no reason what so ever.)  I absolutely believe menstrual cycles and depression are linked.  During my cycle last month, I cried for four straight days, however the month before I was fine.  I write in a journal as much as possible during these dark times, its the only way for me to keep track of what is happening to my mind.  I do hope things get better for you.  :)

I mark on a calendar the days I feel depressed.  Right now it's usually once or twice a week (I'm not taking anything for depression).  During period (I mark them on the same calendar) I seem to get 3 or 4 consecutive days with depression.  It's also more intense.  It doesn't help that my periods are heavy and I feel awful during that time, can't go out, can't exercise, can't sleep well due to frequent bathroom trips.  I'm seriously considering ending my period once and for all.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's definitely related to hormones.  I just had a two-week stretch without depression, which covered from ovulation to the first day of period.  I think during this phase progesterone is dominant.  I felt alert and full of energy.  I did a lot and felt generally positive.

Of course once period was over I feel awful again.  I think in my case the heavy period also made me anemic for a few days each month.  I get symptoms of anemia like fatigue, irritability, headache, brain fog...etc.  I wish we didn't have to go through the ups and downs every month, but such is nature.  It helps a bit to know that even perfectly "normal" girls tend to feel down at some point in their cycle.  Most people are not cheerful all the time.  I think I need to find ways to occupy myself during the "down" time when I don't feel like doing things.  Right now I don't have enough interests that don't require a lot of energy.

I found this chart informative. http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/health/your-time-of-the-month

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.Have only just felt well enough to catch up,but it's so reassuring to hear other people have the same issues.As if we haven't got enough to deal with without adding hormones to the list!.

It is so helpful to note down how you're feeling each day though,and then you can track if it's possible hormones are making it worse.I'd advise everyone who thinks this might be the case to give it a go,once you see it happening written in black and white month after month ,you can be slightly more ready for it.

I hope we can find more and more ways to manage this,

Love  F x

• 2 months later...
Do you guys think this will go away or do u think we are stuck eith some kind of severe pmdd horror hell forever now?

Yes yes yes yes! My pms has been worse during withdrawal and I get very depressed and anxious

Im depeessed and anxious in general with withdrawal but 1-2 weeks before my period its extreme bad

You are not alone  :smitten:

• 3 months later...

Lovely Ladies

May I suggest using one of the many amazing period apps?

http://www.refinery29.com/period-tracker-apps

I use FMC Free Menstrual Calendar For Periods https://appsto.re/za/BYYCr.i

I'd be a wreck without mine. I use it as a daily log of my mental, physical & emotional states. Most apps will tell you when you can expect PMS symptoms, as long as you keep track of your cycle start and end dates, light or heavy flow etc...

I now know with a fair amount of certainty (even though my periods are irregular) when I'm going to be more depressed than usual and can plan for it.

If there is one thing I've learnt being on benzos, suffering from anxiety, depression and insomnia is that I thrive on routine. There is so much that feels out of my control and hopeless that managing my period is one less thing to make me feel worse about myself.

Much love to you all  :smitten:

Yes. It is called PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome). Causes depression, nervousness etc. Try "Evening Primrose Oil" in capsules. Google as much as you can about PMS and the possible natural cures. They are helpful. Some pdocs prescribe ADs for PMS. They help the first month. Then everything is the same. There are many supplements which help PMS better. BC pills don't help. Many women who are alcoholic and sober start drinking during their PMS. Magnesium citrate in capsules is good, L-theanine in capsules is good.

Oh yes it's very common for women in withdrawal to have a worsening of symptoms as hormones change.  My periods are still terrible but have begun to improve some.  I believe that this will get better as the healing from the drugs continues.

i'm in cycle day 9,and there is when estrogen rises. I have started to see a pattern here,im feeling worse already here.

Can estrogen make withdrawal worse? im feeling more anxious,nausea,headache and a kind of uncomfortable euphoria.

Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
I'm going soon into month 7 being off benzos...It's one week before period starts now and im in a horrible wave,anxiety and depression is so brutal im about to cry  :'(

• 4 months later...

I'm going soon into month 7 being off benzos...It's one week before period starts now and im in a horrible wave,anxiety and depression is so brutal im about to cry  :'(

Yeah, it’s an ordeal. Currently dealing with PMS. And my hormones are out of whack. Have all the bloodwork to be done, hopefully this Wednesday. I don’t even have period anymore, only PMS. And it’s not menopause. Don’t know what it is. Probably not the pregnancy either. Awesomeness.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[f8...]

A lot of the responses here have given me some motivation, thank you for that.  I am in bed as we speak and am so freaking depressed!  Oh my gosh, I started to spot yesterday, nothing today.  Every month, week 3 since I noticed to waves and windows has just been gross.  I am irritable, sad, bloated (ew like feel so fat) and just want to isolate...

I definitely need to do something because this is just something else. 

I am going to talk to my Naturopathic Doc about it, and try to force myself to go to the mall or something...maybe Kohl’s.

But again, before I read th is thread I would not even have considered getting up to shower and start my day.  I feel blessed, thank all of you for being so open.

Love

Fiercey

• 2 months later...