Magnesium for depression? read this folks!

[Wi...]

Boy, that was a long article.  I didn't actually read it all but kept looking for the qualifications of the person who wrote it.  :-\ I'm sure that as with all supplements, it's possible to overdo it, so my suggestion is to do plenty of research before doing any mega-doses of anything.  Just my 2 cents.

http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html

here is an article I can across on the net that tells about a link between magnesium deficiency and depression .. it is quite long but well worth the read...hope this helps someone

blessings    :smitten:  WS

Hey WS, 

I've also heard of magnesium deficiency being related to depression.  I found a page and had bookmarked it regarding just this issue.

As you can see from the long list above, magnesium deficiency can cause numerous psychological changes, including depression.

Plasma magnesium levels have been found to be significantly lower in depressed patients than in controls. These levels increased significantly after recovery. So, as you can see, magnesium is one of the natural antidepressants.

The link to this one is http://www.real-depression-help.com/magnesium-for-depression.html    On that page they even give you food suggestions for increasing your magnesium naturally.  :)

I took a magnesium supplement a few years ago but it was to relieve constipation, which it is also good for!  It was called Natural Calm.

I found this page also that I thought was pretty interesting about the beneifts of magnesium.  NOTE it does mention anyone with kidney failure should be closely monitored by their doctors while taking magnesium supplements.      http://www.alternative-medicine-digest.com/health-benefits-of-magnesium.html

I used to sell Usana Nutritionals and love learning about vitamins and how they work together in our body.

Phyllis    :smitten:

Hi there  LadyH

I also take natural calm.. its good stuff ..not every day though. I do believe that one can overdo it on anything and when u start mega-dosing on isolated vitamins in can inhibite absorbtion of another.. tricky stuff thats for sure.. I try to eat a good diet and leave it at that and other than the b-vits I try not to waste my money on stuff like that.. I think my body is good on them for now so I have slacked off a bunch ..still taking omega-3's though ..

It is a long article I know hence why dial-up users can't load the page  :( sorry .. I am still reading it off and on and thought it was definately interesting ..

I will check out those links later on when I get my stuff done around here ..I love reading about stuff like that too.. hey.. anything that can help huh?

WS  :smitten:

Hi there  LadyH

I also take natural calm.. its good stuff ..not every day though. I do believe that one can overdo it on anything and when u start mega-dosing on isolated vitamins in can inhibite absorbtion of another.. tricky stuff thats for sure.. I try to eat a good diet and leave it at that and other than the b-vits I try not to waste my money on stuff like that.. I think my body is good on them for now so I have slacked off a bunch ..still taking omega-3's though ..

It is a long article I know hence why dial-up users can't load the page   :( sorry .. I am still reading it off and on and thought it was definately interesting ..

I will check out those links later on when I get my stuff done around here ..I love reading about stuff like that too.. hey.. anything that can help huh?

WS  :smitten:

Hey WS,

As a matter of fact, I just threw away the bottle of Natural Calm the other day.  I was going to try it again and what was left had expired in 06!!    :laugh:  As you can see I don't use it very often either!!  I do know during the period of time I was taking it, I liked it!

I need to find a natural way to get those omega 3s.  For some reason everytime I take those they make me burp.  I cannot swallow big pills in the first place, and they sure dont' encourage me with their size!  I tried them in the morning.  I burped fish all day.  I tried them in the afternoon, same thing.  At night I have enough trouble remembering my benzo!  :D    I'll figure it out one day! 

Phyllis  :smitten:

hey Phyllis,

I used to burp up those fish oil caps too.  uugh!  So I finally switched over to liquid fish oil, so glad I did.  I use a brand called "Nature's Answer" that has orange oil in it.  So now NO fishy taste, and no fishey burps!!!  I had read good reviews of it on iherb.com, where I order all my supplements.  There are other great brands, but most of them cost a bunch more.  This one is very, well, cheap.  And good.  I use it once or twice a day, because the brain is made up of Omega 3's (DHA and EPA), it's good for inflammation, depression, and anything else that might be disregulated from the brain.  In my current state of w/d's from Klon, I've probably got it all.  Know what I mean?  I am not a big fish eater...I prefer the two-leggeds.  So the fish oil seems pretty important in my way of thinking.  (for Vitamins A and D too)

adelia

hey Phyllis,

I used to burp up those fish oil caps too.  uugh!  So I finally switched over to liquid fish oil, so glad I did.  I use a brand called "Nature's Answer" that has orange oil in it.  So now NO fishy taste, and no fishey burps!!!  I had read good reviews of it on iherb.com, where I order all my supplements.  There are other great brands, but most of them cost a bunch more.  This one is very, well, cheap.  And good.  I use it once or twice a day, because the brain is made up of Omega 3's (DHA and EPA), it's good for inflammation, depression, and anything else that might be disregulated from the brain.  In my current state of w/d's from Klon, I've probably got it all.  Know what I mean?  I am not a big fish eater...I prefer the two-leggeds.  So the fish oil seems pretty important in my way of thinking.  (for Vitamins A and D too)

adelia

Hey adelia,

Thank you so much for the information.  I'll definitely write that down and give it a shot.    :thumbsup:  I'm not much of a fish eater either!

One day I took a garlic supplement with my omega and burped garlic fish all day!    :sick: 

That really put a damper on the fish burps from that point on!!    :laugh:

Phyllis  :smitten:

Don't use the caps - the don't absorb as quickly and they give you fish burps all day. Use oil like Carlson's... it is flavored with lemon or orange and doesn't taste like fish at all. It's more concentrated and WAY better for you. Trust me, you won't regret it (you just have to get used to drinking a teaspoon of oil after breakfast in the morning).

Hey buddies  :)

I also order all my stuff from Iherb now.. they are cheap compared to round here..

I have heard of the carlsons fish oil Petey.. I may give that a go also..

currently taking flax oil that has the omegas in it but sometimes experience numbness and tingling in my feet after I take it ..so that is weird and I don't much care for it nor do I know what is going on.. needless to say I haven't took one in a few days  :)  don't care much for the fishy burps either ..having garlic breath is bad enough as I take in a lot of that everyday ..can't imagine having the fishy breath too...  :laugh:  uggghhh what a combo that would be huh?

Magnesium does help with muscle cramps and is good for other things too.. I personally wouldn't be without it either ..

Florida's best is another thing we have and couldn't do without.. it's a all natural rub/lotion for aches and pains and a bunch of other stuff down to bug bites.. its not cheap though .about $30 a bottle but it lasts a while ....and its good stuff

blessings                      WS

• 1 month later...

Hey wildsoul

I am coming off of 10mg of Valium and tapering slowly down t 8.5mg at the moment and wondering how you are doing off completely?

what lingering withdrawal are you experiencing if any?

Just wondering what i might be facing although i realize everyone is different.

I read all the threads about the supplement s and oils and such but without my Gallbladder it is difficult to even consider omega 3's or any fish oils for that matter. I am kind of stuck with lots of food allergies and issues with bladder sensitives.

again just wondering how  you are doing Valium Free

Pennyblue