If anyone had told me of months of insomnia I would have never taken benzos!!

[Gr...]

I'm sorry for my many posts but I would just like to say that if any doctor had told me "take these tablets and you may go for months without sleeping" I would have NEVER touched a benzo in my life!! Out of all the withdrawal symptoms this is the one that is causing me the most angst. I am only starting withdrawal and the thought of months of not sleeping is really freaking me out. I don't know how I am going to survive this.

P.S. I am sorry for the inappropriate content of this post as it was originally written.

I know what you're facing is daunting, especially after suffering this long but looking at what's ahead of you isn't helpful.  You know that old saying about "one day at a time", well its especially important to use it now, we have to find a way to survive this and that should be our focus.  This negativity we feel while going through this process is suffocating so we have to make a special effort to find ways to keep our head above water and that involves fighting the negative thoughts.  When our focus is on the enormity of this process, its overwhelming and discouraging but if we take one day at a time, it can help us make it through that one day. 

I know my words probably aren't helpful but I see so much pain here but I've also seen acceptance and those who have found acceptance seem to do a little better.  Acceptance doesn't mean giving up or not fighting for your life, its means accepting this process is the path to recovery.  Another thing to remember is that every day is different and there will be nights you don't sleep but there will also be nights when you do so looking at a bleak sleepless future is more an aspect of the drug making you think catastrophically rather than what will actually happen.  The drug lies to us and tells us all is lost, but its not.

Many members find this list helpful, I hope do too. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

Thank you for your reply to this post too. As you can see I am locked in a state of focusing on the worst of everything right now. It is made worse by the fact that I have always dreaded not sleeping more than any other thing. I have sort of started to accept all of this however, as there is nothing else that can be done when facing such a thing. I guess it is the same as someone facing a terrible physical traumatic situation, as has happened to so many people in our world.

I was amazed by that post you gave me the link to. The poster says how she was able to function, drive a car, and was not tired despite being exhausted. This alone gives me hope. I haven't read the full post yet as I wanted to reply to you first.

I'm sorry for my many posts but I would just like to say that if any doctor had told me "take these tablets and you may go for months without sleeping" I would have NEVER touched a benzo in my life!! Out of all the withdrawal symptoms this is the one that is causing me the most angst. I am only starting withdrawal and the thought of months of not sleeping is really freaking me out. I don't know how I am going to survive this.

P.S. I am sorry for the inappropriate content of this post as it was originally written.

It sucks!!! I got it from an ENT for a silly ear thing, he even said "it will make you sleep nicely too" and inwas like huh i already sleep well... little did i know 11 months later i am sti struggling with broken sleep half of the time.less than 4 hours. Its also by far my worst and most persistent symptom.

Indeed the doc might aswell have said here is a pill that will mess up your sleep for over a year.

Greg,

None of us who went through benzo/Ambien induced insomnia thought that we could make it on so little sleep, but we did, and you will too.

Greg,

I feel this massively, I went through a brutal withdrawal and I was only on the wretched things for 7 weeks. In December 2020 I went through at least two periods of having no perceptible sleep for 5 nights in a row. It was so awful. I thought I would never get better. The people on here got me through, without this forum I might have even started taking the drugs again because I was so desperate for sleep. All I can say is just take one day at a time, get through it, then do it again. Keep going. It still genuinely shocks me the human body can keep going on so little sleep. I thought I was going to age quickly, hallucinate etc. it never happened. Now I sleep 7 hours a night mostly. I thought at the time I would never sleep normally again. Just try to stay healthy. Control the controllable. You will win.

R1