Does anyone have insomnia as only w/d symptom? Does cold turkey make it worse?

[...]

I quit temezapam cold turkey after taking 30-mg daily for 2 years (took it long before then too, but only 2-3X a week, prior to that, the same with Ambien). 

I had 3-5 days of hell after going cold turkey, but after that my only issues is the insomnia.  I know I'm lucky this is my only issue, but it's bad.  I took the drugs for insomnia, so I know I shouldn't be surprised it's still an issue.

I wasn't given guidance from the doctor and didn't know I should not have gone CT, I should have tapered.  Is that what is making the insomnia worse?  Should I go back on and do a proper taper?  I'm 4.5 months out and would hate to start over at this point.

Yes, 2-3 hrs/night...sometimes less.  I fall asleep no problem (weird!) at 10p and am up between 12-1am for the day

I'm same as you, I fall asleep without and then usually wake up after 2 hours at most. Sometimes I can get back to sleep for another few hours, sometimes not. Sometimes  get zero hours some nights and mostly 3 hours, very rarely more. It takes a while for sleep to improve. As I've said, I'd try to stick it out for a while longer since you've come this far.

I agree with SJ. Try to stick it out a while longer.  I know the lack of sleep can really start to wear on you after a while.

OK, I've made it this far, I can keep going.  I just didn't know if not tapering is what caused the bad insomnia in the first case.

I'm same as you, I fall asleep without and then usually wake up after 2 hours at most. Sometimes I can get back to sleep for another few hours, sometimes not. Sometimes  get zero hours some nights and mostly 3 hours, very rarely more. It takes a while for sleep to improve. As I've said, I'd try to stick it out for a while longer since you've come this far.

Thanks for your reply.  In the 4.5mo since CT I have only once fallen back asleep after waking at 12:30-1:30.  It just gets discouraging, you know?

my sleep is poor or barely there also. wonder if its psychological or don't have the sleepy sensation

........... do you all wake up with nightmares or frightening images?

I'm glad you decided to hold on a while longer. VC70.  Reinstatement is no guarantee that you will get the better sleep you are looking for and at some future point you will likely be facing another taper.  This is what the Ashton Manual says about the insomnia resolution time frame:

Insomnia - Gradually diminishing over 6-12 months

I was at the outer limits of Ashton's estimation but I eventually returned to good sleep.  I'm so sorry you are in the throes of it but you've already put in 4.5 months so you have a good chunk of time behind you.

My insomnia is the kind where you CANT go to sleep at all. No onset no sleep. I’m currently on Restoril but want off badly because of sideffects. I’ve tried everything from ambien which worked for years but no more to triazolam trazadone. Sometimes I feel it is a lost cause.

How was your cold turkey of Restoril? I’ve tried a couple of times and it’s horrendous and I’ve only been on it less than a month.

The c/t was bad the first 3 days, I was very high anxiety.  I'm almost 5mo off and still only sleeping on average 2.5 hrs a night, so pretty crappy.  Now dealing with depression too.  I don't know if things would have been better if I didn't go c/t.

[68...]

Hi VC70,

I'm amidst my taper. Remoral is Mitrazepine, right? That didn't help me at all. I am sleeping better, but not sure if it's the Promethazine, Melatonine or/and me holding my dose.

According to the Ashton Manual it can take up to year for normal sleep to return. Have you tried natural aids like hops and valerian?

The c/t was bad the first 3 days, I was very high anxiety.  I'm almost 5mo off and still only sleeping on average 2.5 hrs a night, so pretty crappy.  Now dealing with depression too.  I don't know if things would have been better if I didn't go c/t.