Unable to sleep - total insomnia

[Du...]

i stopped benzo in end may

since then, my sleep has been going from bad to worse

now, i cannot sleep at all and don't feel drowsy at all. I just close my eyes and lie in bed but my mind's eye will be flooded with many racing images and thoughts from nowhere.  I am my winks end. I tried melatonin, magnesium but it doesn't help much. I will also have bad heart palpitation (WD? anxiety?) whenever i lie down to try to sleep

please help, it is getting worrying and distressing and I feel like a robot, with no sensation of tiredness. I even played meditation, mindfulness, body scan, systematic desensitization video also no use.

You are still very early in w/d. What benzo were you on, how much, how long, and what condition was it being prescribed to you for?

[43...]

I'm a bit new at this. Did I read correctly that you stopped taking Diazepam 2.5mg., because the loss of efficacy? If so, then you're basically gone cold turkey. Heart palpitations and severe insomnia are symptoms.

Please, read the Ashton Manual and please, please, please, taper safely. Possibly this means microtapering at 2.5mg. Diazepam.

Oh my, you are right where I was Ducktales and I am so sorry.  Insomnia began in earnest for me when I finished tapering and was bad in my early days post- jump.  I sleep well now without benzos but it took a while.

how long it took before natural sleep returns for you?

It took about a year I am sorry to say.  I think I finally 'surrendered' at about a year and accepted the insomnia, quit fighting it so hard so the sleep anxiety greatly diminished by then.  I also had a lot of healing behind me at a year off benzos.  My doctor had given me an Rx for trazodone and I started taking 12.5mg at bedtime (very reluctantly).  All three things combined helped me over the hump to better and ultimately good sleep - much better than my last several years on benzos.

For me, it took about 6 months to get more than 3 hours of sleep and then it was off and on for a long time. I started my taper May 1st 2021 and just now, about 3 weeks ago, started consistently sleeping 5 or 6 hours a night. I still have the occasional 3 and 4 hour nights or eve zero hour, but it's much better. Hang in there! I KNOW how hard it is! Believe me...I know