Depression- are antidepressants safe to take? Also, can a neurologist help??

[...]

I don't know if it's from the insomnia, I know it's not helping.... but I've been pretty depressed lately and think I need to go on some antidepressants.  I'm afraid to though.  I took a very small (25mg) dose of Zoloft for several years with good results, but d/c that about a year ago b/c I felt like I didn't need it anymore.

Is it a bad idea to go on antidepressants after stopping benzos?  I took 30mg temazapam for many years before d/c cold turkey in early March.  Wondering if there is an antidepressants that could also help with sleep?  That is why I was originally put on the zoloft, it was to help with mild insomnia many years ago. I am also seeing a therapist, but I feel like I need more than that.  I know there are many new antidepressants out there, but don't want anything that will mess up my recovery. 

I'm lucky in that most nights I fall asleep just fine, within 30 min or less, but I wake after 3-4 hrs and can't fall back asleep after that.  I have an appointment Monday with a neurologist that specializes in sleep disorders (my husband encouraged me to do this to make sure there isn't something neurological going on).  Has anyone else done this?  Was it helpful? 

Thanks.

Ashton says that ADs can be used for those that they will help during Benzo WD.  It's a personal call though.  Do what is best for you.  I never trusted any drug (after learning about them) that messes with your brain chemistry. 

Depression and anxiety are common Benzo WD symptoms.

Some people have a hard time coming off of ADs as they can have their own WD?  But since you were on them before, you might be OK?

The neurologist will most likely conclude you have something else going on, especially if he/she doesn't recognize Benzo WD. 

I had full head and body MRIs done as I was certain something else was going on, but it was ALL caused by the Benzos and WD.

However, the Neurologist and Psychologists I saw said I had GAD, depression, etc., and they wanted to put me on 2 or 3 Rx drugs...which I politely declined.  All of my symptoms and issues faded and went away on their own without the "help" of more Rx drugs.

If it gives you peace of mind, then go for it, but don't let the neurologist talk you into more Rx drugs.

Good luck!

ThEwAy2

Thanks for your response.  I guess I just feel like I have had zero improvement in sleep in 4 months since d/c the temzapam.  It's discouraging. 

My sleep was at it's worst at 4 months off...that lasted until about 10 months off.

Ashton says insomnia resolves for most in 6-12 months.  Some take less time, many take more time.

That doesn't mean that your sleep is close to zero for that amount of time and then it suddenly gets better.  It slowly comes back in fits and starts and is very up and down until it evens out for good

Hang in there...4 months is still pretty early to be expecting improvement and the issue with putting a timeline on when you think you should start to see improvement is that when it doesn't happen, you get super frustrated and look for more Rx drug options.

I am not advocating Rx drugs; you do what is best for you, but some have success with sleep using Seroquel, Mirtazapine or Hydroxyzine.

ADs are far better than benzos if you have to take something or want to at least try something if you are suffering and things have gotten intolerable.

ADs are far better than benzos if you have to take something or want to at least try something if you are suffering and things have gotten intolerable.

Interesting opinion, AntiBenzo7.  Care to share your rationale and/or evidence to support this claim?  I suspect individuals who are suffering from antidepressant discontinuation syndrome might not agree with you.

@[Li...]

It is just my personal opinion and also from my personal experience after over 30 years. I have been on ADs many times over those years. I have also withdrawn from them multiple times.  The withdrawals were all 1000 times easier than trying to w/d from benzodiazepines.

Altho some ppl might disagree, most ppl IMO would agree with what I said, provided they have experienced taking both of these medications firsthand. HTH

Better to take nothing and cope naturally if you can. I hate all these meds, but you can take nothing and still suffer to an intolerable degree when you are blindsided with one of these serious mental health disorders, like I was at age 24. I hope in the future, they will be able to cure these brain disorders which I believe have a biological core. I poured my heart and soul into CBT and it did nothing "zilch" for me. Exercise and meditation are the only two natural things that I do that do bring me some relief.

I agree with AB, but the paradox is "they" or the medical community, only recognize an Rx drug as something that can treat, cure or prevent a disease. So "they" would be introducing yet another Rx drug to possibly cure brain disorders.

AntiBenzo7: Thank you for clarifying that the statement you made was your opinion based on your personal experience.  I wonder if starting and discontinuing antidepressants multiple times over the years might factor in your current struggle with benzodiazepine discontinuation?

[e8...]
Antidepressants are just as bad as benzos. Especially when already damaged before. Please think carefully.

Time is running out for me. I probably will not even be alive 20 years from today (LOL) but I am good with that if I can get another 20 years. I just would not like to spend those 20 suffering with horrible anxiety and bad panic right up until the end, That is not life or living. You are merely existing until the time comes for you to die. I see so many ppl off all the drugs  who have been suffering for years waiting on time. I also see many get off the drugs and do fine after awhile. Seems to be a crapshoot...... It really makes me wonder. I do think these serious mental health disorders have a biological core in the brain and there will be cures for these disorders in the future, not medical management with a lifetime of drugs. I probably will not be around to see this happen, but I think it will at some point in the future.

I went to a Neurologist when I was having tolerance w/d symptoms and he ran an ANA and it was positive and high.  I was diagnosed with Lupus.  I'm convinced it's drug-induced Lupus.

AntiBenzo7: Thank you for clarifying that the statement you made was your opinion based on your personal experience.  I wonder if starting and discontinuing antidepressants multiple times over the years might factor in your current struggle with benzodiazepine discontinuation?

I am not sure Libertas. I resisted taking benzos initially back in the early 80's. I did not try my 1st AD until I had about 15 years of chronic benzo usage under my belt. ADs have never been that effective for me btw. There was no internet in the early 80s when I was blindsided by panic disorder outta the blue when I thought my life was going terrific. I actually resisted taking benzos and tried PRN initially bc I knew inherently these drugs can't be good for you after taking my 1st xanax, it made me feel 100% normal like I felt before this nightmare began, and then after it wore off, that feeling of needing to do it again to feel normal. I knew in my gut this is not good, so I would just struggle and only take one in the very beginning when things got to intolerable levels. I was not addicted then, but I was being destroyed by the suffocating panic and anxiety that I was experiencing. I also had a new job making terrific money that I did not want to lose during this time. I finally made the decision to take .5 mgs xanax daily, so I could save my job. My logic was better to be sick and have money than still be sick and poor without a job. Then, what would I have done? I made a pledge to myself I would never take more than .5 mgs of xanax per day the 8 years I spent on it and that is exactly what I did. After the .5 would wear off, I never took any more during that 24 hour period despite how bad I was feeling from the drug addiction. I was able to continue working during those years bc I always took the .5 in the morning and I had a day job working in a giant factory.

That is just a little of my benzo history. There is a lot more history that I will not go into. I hate reading and writing really long posts. I was an original member of Geraldine Burn's 1st benzo support group ever (mid to late 1990s) on the internet. Benzo buddies did not even exist then, so I have been around for a while, made thousands of posts, and dropped both in and out of all the major benzo communities over the years.

[3e...]

I would strongly advice against Seroquel, because it can be very difficult to come off them. I tried Mitrazepine, but it made me feel lifeless. Promethazine 50mg. did the trick for me. Regardless, I hate that I need to take medication and hopefully, after I've come off of Benzos I wont need anything anymore to have a good night's rest.

My sleep was at it's worst at 4 months off...that lasted until about 10 months off.

Ashton says insomnia resolves for most in 6-12 months.  Some take less time, many take more time.

That doesn't mean that your sleep is close to zero for that amount of time and then it suddenly gets better.  It slowly comes back in fits and starts and is very up and down until it evens out for good

Hang in there...4 months is still pretty early to be expecting improvement and the issue with putting a timeline on when you think you should start to see improvement is that when it doesn't happen, you get super frustrated and look for more Rx drug options.

I am not advocating Rx drugs; you do what is best for you, but some have success with sleep using Seroquel, Mirtazapine or Hydroxyzine.