Seroquel for sleep

[...]

I have been taking 150mg of seroquel at night for sleep for about a week. It has been working great giving me between 6 and 8 hours every night. Has anybody else used this for insomnia? Did your organic sleep return while on it? Was it easy or hard to taper off? How soon did tolerance come in? Just wanting to hear from people that have been there and done that. I’m so tired of this medication merry go round but I absolutely need some sleep.

When I first jumped off the benzos, I was given 12.5mg by the pdoc for sleep. I took 7.5mg-12.5g of it, not for long, and it did help me to sleep, it wasn't as powerful as Trazadone though imo.

My understanding is that at low doses Seroquel becomes an antihistamine, so it helps with sleep, at higher doses it hits other receptors. I took it a few times, but just didn't like the sound of taking an antipsychotic and I heard Seroquel WD itself is also unpleasant, so eventually I just toughed out the insomnia without taking anything. It took quite a while for me to sleep normally and through the night (about 20 months) and I just felt that taking more drugs would hinder my healing, but as the popular saying goes here, everyone is different.

I know the desperation to seek a solution out of the insomnia, it's awful. You may want to try it at low doses instead as 150mg sounds a bit high for sleep.

Serowuel don't work for me and made me sick.  I used traadone to regulate my sleep at first it didn't work at all.  Then it regulated my sleep.  I quit it as it made me feel like throwing up and I was drinking with it.  I quit drinking in March.

I tried to lower the dose last night from 150mg to 100mg and it didn’t work so good. I only got about 4 hours last night of very poor quality sleep. Not sure if it was the lower dose or if that was going to happen anyway. I hate the way my brain and body feel from this lack of sleep.

Seroquel didn't help me sleep so much as it knocked me out.  It was like passing out from drinking booze, but worse.  I think Seroquel is a horrible drug.  The side effects I had from just taking 3mgs. at bedtime were drooling, stomachaches and cramps and forgetfulness.  Sometimes I could barely make it to my bed since it would knock me out so badly.  It's used off-label for sleep and it's an AP.

• 1 month later...
[fc...]

Couldn't agree more: seroquel is nasty stud and so is Trazodone. Promethazine did the trick for me.

Seroquel didn't help me sleep so much as it knocked me out.  It was like passing out from drinking booze, but worse.  I think Seroquel is a horrible drug.  The side effects I had from just taking 3mgs. at bedtime were drooling, stomachaches and cramps and forgetfulness.  Sometimes I could barely make it to my bed since it would knock me out so badly.  It's used off-label for sleep and it's an AP.

[fc...]

I tried Seroquel, but I think I had a really small dose. Mayve 7.5mg? Anyways your dose sounds insanely high. It helped me fall asleep, but not stay asleep. It can be very hard to come off them and I advise against it. Promethazine 50mg. is helping me during my current withdrawal.

I have been taking 150mg of seroquel at night for sleep for about a week. It has been working great giving me between 6 and 8 hours every night. Has anybody else used this for insomnia? Did your organic sleep return while on it? Was it easy or hard to taper off? How soon did tolerance come in? Just wanting to hear from people that have been there and done that. I’m so tired of this medication merry go round but I absolutely need some sleep.

Actually at 150-200mg I went back on benzos to get rid of Seroquel.

Personally I do not share the view that antidepressants and antipsy are alway safer than benzos. Because of my experience I think there is a great degree of subjectivity. I think also trazodone, mirtazapine and seroquel give their best at low doses then side effects increase quicker than benefits.

Acceptance helps. When I realized that no matter how many pills they gave me my baseline was 3 hours things slowly improved. Now I get 5-5.30 but I stopped seroquel, atarax and brought down trazodone in the 25-50mg range.