Runs of afib

[Fo...]

Oh my, have you seen or been referred to a cardiologist?  This would be important since with afib there is a risk of blood clots.

• 3 weeks later...
I had my first run of AFib after having COVID the first time. The second time I had COVID, I had VTach (ventricular tachycardia), which then morphed into AFib. Both happened at exactly 3.5 weeks after starting symptoms. Connection? Yes. COVID is bad news.

I had my first run of AFib after having COVID the first time. The second time I had COVID, I had VTach (ventricular tachycardia), which then morphed into AFib. Both happened at exactly 3.5 weeks after starting symptoms. Connection? Yes. COVID is bad news.

Mine could of been related to that too. Sucks.  I have just stopped caring,  it's just impossible

AFib is very common in some people following a bout with COVID, even asymptomatic or mild. My cardiologist even said after this last episode that it was very likely due to COVID. It's not fun, and I'm sorry you're going through it.

AFib is very common in some people following a bout with COVID, even asymptomatic or mild. My cardiologist even said after this last episode that it was very likely due to COVID. It's not fun, and I'm sorry you're going through it.

Did you have to be converted ? Mine converts itself, it's happened a few times.

I did not. I have an ICD in my chest which paced me out of the VTach, and the two AFib episodes converted on their own, thankfully. I have, however, been shocked by my device one time but seven times in succession. That was awful. And it happened just due to a very fast tachycardia. That's actually what started my benzo journey. :(

I did not. I have an ICD in my chest which paced me out of the VTach, and the two AFib episodes converted on their own, thankfully. I have, however, been shocked by my device one time but seven times in succession. That was awful. And it happened just due to a very fast tachycardia. That's actually what started my benzo journey. :(

Started you taking them? Or , started you getting off ? I have inappropriate tachycardia too, " panic" they call it, doesn't seem like anything mental for me, it seems gut related, after all this time I have started really believing histamine is often why we have heart oddities in rythym.

I had the event where I got shocked seven times in a row, and it started a series of panic attacks, which led me to what I thought was a solution (the benzo). Of course now I know better. I have a genetic mutation that affects the main cardiac sodium channel and causes arrhythmias. My dad died in his sleep at 42 from a fatal rhythm, which led to cardiac arrest. That's why I investigated my own arrhythmias, saw an electrophysiologist, had an ablation, and ended up with the ICD implanted.

For sure, our guts do a lot more than we give them credit for, and we wonder why eating crap food all the time maybe isn't the greatest idea. Obviously in benzo withdrawal, we've probably started eating a little better if we didn't already. Histamine may play a role in some arrhythmias. I really don't know. Many varied things can cause them.

I had the event where I got shocked seven times in a row, and it started a series of panic attacks, which led me to what I thought was a solution (the benzo). Of course now I know better. I have a genetic mutation that affects the main cardiac sodium channel and causes arrhythmias. My dad died in his sleep at 42 from a fatal rhythm, which led to cardiac arrest. That's why I investigated my own arrhythmias, saw an electrophysiologist, had an ablation, and ended up with the ICD implanted.

For sure, our guts do a lot more than we give them credit for, and we wonder why eating crap food all the time maybe isn't the greatest idea. Obviously in benzo withdrawal, we've probably started eating a little better if we didn't already. Histamine may play a role in some arrhythmias. I really don't know. Many varied things can cause them.

Very sorry to hear about your father, I have abnormal rythym in my sleep that wakes me up even, may I ask what test they use to check for that ? I've seen a cardiologist but haven't seen the physiologist, they make it so hard to get referred.

They keep sending me to cardiologist,  who just di basic tests and short holters that don't show what happens. It's so frustrating,  I want to see a physiologist, I feel dismissed

I'm sorry, FoxClover6. I saw a cardiologist who did an echo and other testing and found nothing structurally wrong, so he sent me to the electrophysiologist to check the electrical system. I believe that's the typical path. Just say you believe you have a short circuit. If you're having random tachycardias, especially SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) events, that's most likely what it is.

I took a beta blocker for 10 years. It made me feel tired and terrible the entire time. I had no idea that's what was doing it. I would avoid a beta blocker if possible unless nothing else works. I know some newer ones have fewer side effects. I'm actually on a calcium-channel blocker, which I found out later can raise the serum levels of benzos in your blood. That's a fun realization.

I'm sorry, FoxClover6. I saw a cardiologist who did an echo and other testing and found nothing structurally wrong, so he sent me to the electrophysiologist to check the electrical system. I believe that's the typical path. Just say you believe you have a short circuit. If you're having random tachycardias, especially SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) events, that's most likely what it is.

I took a beta blocker for 10 years. It made me feel tired and terrible the entire time. I had no idea that's what was doing it. I would avoid a beta blocker if possible unless nothing else works. I know some newer ones have fewer side effects. I'm actually on a calcium-channel blocker, which I found out later can raise the serum levels of benzos in your blood. That's a fun realization.

You'd think so,  but they never did after the tests showed normal structure.  Since you had an ablation do you have to take the channel blocker?

I started taking it due because I kept getting SVTs after the shock event, which scared the mess out of me. The ablation definitely helped, but it didn't eliminate the issue. Of course, benzo withdrawal gives me palpitations every day. So that's fun.

You should ask to see an EP to see if your issue is electrical. It sure sounds like it if it's not structural.

• 1 month later...

I had an A-Fib a couple of weeks ago that came out of nowhere. It was during the afternoon, I laid down on my couch to have a nap, then woke up a couple of hours later in a state of panic with my heart rate between 150-160 bpms.

As much as I tried to resist doing so, I ultimately unlocked my safe (where I store my so called "rescue doses") and took 5mgs of Diazepam. I began to calm down almost immediately and my heart rate stabilised. I'm now on yet another benzo taper. I'm just glad I took 5mgs (half of a 10mg tablet) as opposed to the full 10.

It didn't even occur to me that it may have been triggered by Covid. Even 2 weeks on my resting heart rate still seems to be around the mid-90s, when normally it would be in the mid-70s.

I was diagnosed with afib during wd. Never had it before. I’ve been hospitalized twice to convert. Mine has been much better lately after having daily electrolytes and doing cardio excercise. It is often caused by electrolyte imbalance. If mine lasts over 30 mins I have a tablet I take to stop it

I was diagnosed with afib during wd. Never had it before. I’ve been hospitalized twice to convert. Mine has been much better lately after having daily electrolytes and doing cardio excercise. It is often caused by electrolyte imbalance. If mine lasts over 30 mins I have a tablet I take to stop it

What is it if you don't mind me asking ?

It’s called flecinade. Also referred to as the pill in the pocket. It’s a sodium channel blocker. It usually stops it within the hour but the last run I had I had to take a 2nd pill to stop it. How long are ur runs?

Also beta blockers can actually make it worse in some people. I have bradycardia, slow heart rate. My heart rate is usually between 50-55 bpm. Beta blockers slow the heart rate. My genius cardiologist told me to stay on this when I was first diagnosed. Slowing down an already slow heart rate. Idiot. I weened myself Off.

In wd we don’t eat well so it’s probably very likely we have nutritional deficiencies. Make sure u eat well as best u can. Sometimes drinking a little salt in water can help too. The usual process in hospital is iv potassium and magnesium first, then flecinade, then cardio inversion.

My runs have been so strange, I've caught it 3 times all the same story. Starts out not in rythym, for about 5to10 minutes , I can feel it and it's still in the 70s but it's usually also in the 50s for me,, I check it a few times and it reads afib, then after about 10 min I check it again, it's in sinus tachy. I know it's uncommon but I've caught it on the kardia and the watch.  My doc prescribed me propranolol even though my heart rate is low and so is my bp. I didn't even get it.