Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

Hi all. So I believe my best friend is going through menopause. I don't know the difference between pre menopause and menopause but I believe she's going through one of them. She was admitted to the hospital because she won't stop bleeding and they said they believe it has to do with hormones and sent her home. She bleeds all the time -heavy and spotting. It doesn't go away. And I believe the bleeding is what is making  her withdrawal symptoms SO SEVERE. And she said she won't take hormones during withdrawal because everyone says we can't because that will make us worse so she's not doing anything for it. She's just hanging on for dear life with the severe symptoms,  bleeding and now she's ready to die and thinks she's dying from the blood loss. What do y'all think? Thanks so much.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I am really struggling w hormone fluctuations along with wd. I was doing pretty well at 19 months post taper and then had a medication induced setback and with the setback came extreme issues around my cycle. I’m 48 and perimenopausal. I’ve had my best windows when I’ve skipped a period but the waves are also so random I’ve tried to chart them and they can come before a period or typically a few days after my period. It’s all so random and confusing but the waves can be so debilitating leaving me completely exhausted bedbound and with so many acute like symptoms. I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done other than continue to wait for healing. Before setback my hormones seemed pretty good I ceased having windows and waves for a few months (I felt pretty healed) and even then they didn’t seem related to my period. Would love any thoughts! Thanks,

It does seem like hormone fluctuations can exacerbate symptoms. I went through perimenopause as I was withdrawing off anti-depressants, and it was absolute hell, but I kept trudging through. Then I went through Klonopin withdrawal and that was/is level beyond hell. I am still suffering. I am now post-menopausal for a few years, and am mostly through horrible menopausal symptoms coupled with benzo withdrawal. I can't believe I survived going through both things a the same time. My doctor thinks my severe withdrawals actually brought menopause on earlier because of the severity.

The withdrawals created chemical sensitivity, so I can not get hormonal support either or they will send me into horrible waves of symptoms. Overall, it think its best to stay away from hormone support right now until you feel more stabilized, if thats something you wish to do.

I wish I had advice or a vast repertoire of hormone knowledge to impart, but I think just hanging in there is the best course. Our female bodies are extremely sensitive to hormone fluctuations, and they affect neurotransmitters, so it only makes sense that benzo withdrawal symptoms could get activated. Hopefully, your brain will heal more as you step into menopause. There are some wonderful advantages to menopause...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks TaterTot sorry for late reply.  I am now in a window and my period is 9 days late.  I wish I did not to have to deal with hormones and the effects it's having on my wd symptoms and would gladly take menopause! I am 3 years off and 48 I hope this doesn't take years and years longer of peri!

• 1 month later...

Hi

History

Due to burnout in teaching less than 2 years ago I have been placed on medication. Currently taking:

Mirtazapine 15mg

Imipramine 75mg

Diazepam 11.5mg (was reducing)

Temazepam 10mg

(Before burnout I never took any meds)

Been on pop (cerezette) for 10+ years

GP placed me on HRT - Evorel Sequi - based on slightly raised FSH level and to try to address low mood - but I had no other menopausal symptoms in April 2021.

This means I am taking 2 weeks estrogen and 2 weeks progesterone by patch.

I see and feel no difference in taking the patches but at the end of each cycle of progesterone I appear to be having increased anxiety and/or a dip in mood.

I have read that benzos and progesterone affect the same gaba receptors in your brain and that progesterone is cross tolerant with benzos.

I feel like I would like to stop the patches.

I believe however that stopping the patches completely could create an effect similar to a benzo withdrawal due to my other medications.

What would be the safest way to proceed?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

History

Due to burnout in teaching less than 2 years ago I have been placed on medication. Currently taking:

Mirtazapine 15mg

Imipramine 75mg

Diazepam 11.5mg (was reducing)

Temazepam 10mg

(Before burnout I never took any meds)

Been on pop (cerezette) for 10+ years

GP placed me on HRT - Evorel Sequi - based on slightly raised FSH level and to try to address low mood - but I had no other menopausal symptoms in April 2021.

This means I am taking 2 weeks estrogen and 2 weeks progesterone by patch.

I see and feel no difference in taking the patches but at the end of each cycle of progesterone I appear to be having increased anxiety and/or a dip in mood.

I have read that benzos and progesterone affect the same gaba receptors in your brain and that progesterone is cross tolerant with benzos.

I feel like I would like to stop the patches.

I believe however that stopping the patches completely could create an effect similar to a benzo withdrawal due to my other medications.

What would be the safest way to proceed?

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM IF THEY HAVE JUST STOPPED HRT DURING BENZO WD AND BEEN OKAY? THANK YOU

If you don't get a reply, maybe you could try searching the forum using one of these search engines, they're a lot better than the forum search.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

I saw a number of threads in Other Medications.

My own experience is very limited.  I quit cold turkey and didn't understand what was happening to me so I went to the doctor and was prescribed HRT, my doctor didn't understand my situation either.  ::)  I took it by mouth for a month or two and it didn't help with my symptoms so I stopped taking it and didn't experience any problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Pamster. I am still trying to make an informed decision here.

If anyone has been on evorel sequi patches and stopped while on their benzo. It would be good to hear from them.

• 1 month later...

If you don't get a reply, maybe you could try searching the forum using one of these search engines, they're a lot better than the forum search.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

I saw a number of threads in Other Medications.

My own experience is very limited.  I quit cold turkey and didn't understand what was happening to me so I went to the doctor and was prescribed HRT, my doctor didn't understand my situation either.  ::)  I took it by mouth for a month or two and it didn't help with my symptoms so I stopped taking it and didn't experience any problem.

Hi Pamster

What progesterone did you take and how much daily, thanks

Hi everyone. I am really struggling w hormone fluctuations along with wd. I was doing pretty well at 19 months post taper and then had a medication induced setback and with the setback came extreme issues around my cycle. I’m 48 and perimenopausal. I’ve had my best windows when I’ve skipped a period but the waves are also so random I’ve tried to chart them and they can come before a period or typically a few days after my period. It’s all so random and confusing but the waves can be so debilitating leaving me completely exhausted bedbound and with so many acute like symptoms. I don’t know if there’s anything that can be done other than continue to wait for healing. Before setback my hormones seemed pretty good I ceased having windows and waves for a few months (I felt pretty healed) and even then they didn’t seem related to my period. Would love any thoughts! Thanks,

You are not alone.

I am 48 and in perimenopause too. Three years off as well. Periods started coming every three weeks for me after xanax CT. Heavy, heavy and horrible. My symptoms could be brutal either before, during, or after my period. Then at 2.5 years off, I had stabilized and I had two normal length periods but still same symptoms. Two months ago, I had a period that came on day 20 and then another two weeks after and I was literally bedbound and acute for SIX SOLID WEEKS until 3 weeks ago. Just had another period after not having one for 2 months. Perimenopause in this SUCKS.

I kept my fingers crossed that I was done once and for all but I guess not. It just goes on and on and on.

HI guys,

Any suggestions for safe topicals for vaginal dryness?  I am perimenopausal and also just started swimming again and between the two -- the dryness and irritation is tough.  my doc knows I don't want scripts or creams with a bunch of stuff in them - she mentioned just using vitamin E oil - like opening up a softgel and just applying it topically ---

do ya'll know if we do well with vitamin E?  I am trying to stay clear from anything that could cause a yeast infection -- like I have heard some people talk about using coconut oil while others say it has caused a yeast issue...

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone taking combi HRT and can help here please.

I am trying to find a solution.

Finally started to taper again from 11.5mg V and all seemed to be going well. I tapered 0.25mg every 3 weeks cut and hold.

However at the end of the 6 weeks I have had a horrendous crash - I did have some stressors but I also started on the 14 days of the progesterone patch.

Did the progesterone patch help set me off in this tailspin? It feels like a benzo withdrawal so not sure exactly what has happened. Sitting tight just now but so worried I cannot lift back up.

Advice appreciated please

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I am new here. It appears I'm not alone.

Here is my story for what it's worth. I was experiencing perimenopause symptoms in 2017 due to major stress factors. Then in 2019 I endured an emotional storm - the crash in hormones sent my emotions down a terrible spiral triggering recurring emotional flashbacks from childhood trauma. I could not get "up" from the spiral. I couldn't sleep at all. It was a terrible time. And my doctors weren't sympathetic, even though this is in my family (all the women in my family have been emotional wrecks from menopause. After going to ER one night they put me on Clonazepam 1mg and Ambien 10 mg at night just to get me to sleep. And it worked very well and I stopped the Ambien after a week but I probably should've been off the Clonazepam too.as soon as I started feeling like "me" again. Instead I stayed on the Clonazepam not knowing the dangers. After some counseling and getting on HRT I thought I was in a good place and I decided to taper off the Clonazepam. I had wicked withdrawals but fortunately they only would last a few days. I tapered completely off Clonazepam in early January. Then I had a moment of high stress about a month ago and all my PTSD came back with a vengeance. But I noticed some of my symptoms were similar to an estrogen crash. So I recently asked for a higher dose, which has helped. I realize there is a lot of information out there but its been very hard for me to concentrate lately. I will have to look at it once I feel better. The good news is I'm feeling a bit more "myself" each day. The windows of gratitude and happiness are getting wider.

• 4 weeks later...
I’m so relieved to have found this thread. I thought I was going crazy. I’m in oerimenopause and my withdrawal symptoms ramp up before and during my period. Increased pain, panic, insomnia, etc. I didn’t make the connection right away. My period came a week after my first cut and I was the most miserable I’ve been yet. Hormones are a beast.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I never thought I’d be back here, but I am. I believe I’m in progesterone cream withdrawal, or overload. I started hrt 7 months ago out of desperation for menopause treatment. Everything was working fine, until a few weeks ago. I started having some symptoms of hyper vigilance, and inner tremors. I was also extremely sensitive to every stressor. I lost my son in February, and found out new information surrounding his death in May. I was extremely distraught and suffered trauma. It seemed like things started changing then. My doctor wasn’t available to guide me. I spoke to my compounding pharmacist, and he said I’d be fine stopping everything. I wasn’t. I’ve been suffering through severe insomnia, not eating, sensitive to light and sound, fear, heart pounding, extreme anxiety, and shaking. 

I had stopped the therapy for 2 days, then out of desperation used my cream thinking I’d be okay. I would go back on, take the oral progesterone at the right dose and taper later like most women do.

I used the cream this morning, after taking other supplements to help, taurin, l theanine, ashwaganda, magnesium, cbd. I used the usual dosage and I felt a surge go through my entire nervous system. I got sick right away. Throwing up, bowel movements, extreme anxiety, adrenaline surges. I’m at the ER now, knowing they can’t do anything for me. I’m angry and so upset with myself and the doctor who assured me when I started that I would be okay on hrt. I told her about my whole benzo withdrawal.

I’m feeling better now, calm with some inner tremors. I was in a full panic earlier. I’m not sure what to do. I’m waiting to hear from my gyno’s office. I can’t endure this again. I just can’t. I don’t know how I should proceed. I’m terrified.

Lalani

What cream was it? Really sorry to hear that.

What are your main symptoms?  X

I was using the cream and CT’d off of it, having bad withdrawal symptoms.

What cream was it? Really sorry to hear that.

What are your main symptoms?  X

I was using the cream and CT’d off of it, having bad withdrawal symptoms.

I was using a compounded cream, 30 mg for 7 months. It worked fine until it didn’t. I stopped all my bhrt last week. My doctor and pharmacist said it would be fine to stop on low dosages. I started having withdrawal symptoms. Adrenaline surges, anxiety, racing heart, insomnia, no appetite, sensitive to sounds, startle response heightened. So on Friday I thought after 2 days of being off if my hormones, I would go back on. I used the progesterone cream as usual and I had a huge reaction to it. I could feel it surge through my cns. Instant vomiting, shaking, heart pounding extreme anxiety, had to go to the ER, but they didn’t do much. I left with Trazadone to sleep. Now I’m once again in horrible withdrawal. Maybe I made it worse by doing the cream one more time, but I thought I could just go back to what I was doing after only 2 days. This is hell, and I don’t know what to do about it. I can’t function. It feels like benzo withdrawal all over again!

I’m so sorry you went through that horrible reaction and are now suffering with more symptoms, Leilani. I had horrible reactions to progesterone too but felt better after I stopped it. I hope you can stabilize and feel better soon. Hugs!

Did you stop the progesterone during your taper?

I’m so sorry you went through that horrible reaction and are now suffering with more symptoms, Leilani. I had horrible reactions to progesterone too but felt better after I stopped it. I hope you can stabilize and feel better soon. Hugs!